PDA

View Full Version : Drawing and writing

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Coconut Ent
December 23rd, 2003, 12:50 AM
How many writers draw, and find that collectively their drawings help them to write? Are your drawings important to the process of writing to you?

JRMurdock
December 23rd, 2003, 09:52 AM
I don't draw, but I do often print the notes or rough draft of my work where I'll add hand written notes and doodle. Having a pen or pencil in my hand has helped me through several tight spots.

wordsarepoison
December 23rd, 2003, 03:35 PM
I draw, but I don't feel confident enough to draw my main characters, don't feel I could do them justice.
I did draw a secondary character once (Lucia Yescombe, vampire) but once I'd drawn her body, outfit and face I got stuck on the lips. Nothing I drew felt right for her and I rubbed various styles and expressions out so many times. Too pouty, smiling too much, can't see the fangs...
I have a picture of a very minor character somewhere (Millicent Darkbloom, another vampire) that I'm quite pleased with - I like her expression.
I have so many ideas and once I have the confidence I'll draw them.

Kelhanion
December 30th, 2003, 03:42 PM
I'm not that much into drawing my characters since the pictures wouldn't make justice to them. They would only confuse me because of the image of them that's in my head. Buildings, objects and scenes are a different story. Well, I don't tend to draw those much either, but when necessary, I could sketch them to give the idea of what's missing or what I haven't thought of.

KatG
January 2nd, 2004, 07:11 PM
I draw and paint when I get a chance, but I don't draw my characters. I do like to draw people and am working on faces and body shapes right now, but I doubt I could draw characters of mine satisfactorially from what's in my head. I think you'll find that this usually only occurs with people who are artists first and then move into writing. I can see where it could be a help, if you could do it, sort of like storyboards for a film. And even if you can't draw, you could do stick figures to work out scenes, if you are a visual learning sort of person who would find that useful. But for me, I'm accustomed to using words to build story pictures so switching to just pictures might not be of much help.

Shanoncia
January 13th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Coconut Ent
How many writers draw, and find that collectively their drawings help them to write? Are your drawings important to the process of writing to you?

Certainly my good Ent! You'd likely think I was writing a script with all teh concept art I've created. I have skethces outlinging the culture, weaponry, culinaries, fashion, physical attributes, and geography of the various races and their nations. I've also mapped out nearly everything....

I also like to draw ou important scenes. (E.g. Deahts, battles, defining uses of magic)

I'm not quite sure as to how much it guides me or aides me since It would all be in my head whether I put it to paper or not. In a way it simply helps me feel organized and more prepared to impress a possible publisher.

Not to mention, I've sketched my entire family, and just about every other person whose touched my life in some way. These characters are as dear to me as any truely breathing person. I like to create tributes to them as well. Not to mention if people are curious as to whats in my head a picture can tell tell where words cannot. :D

Iskaral Pust
January 14th, 2004, 04:00 PM
I draw some locations, but never characters.

Kachi
January 17th, 2004, 07:30 PM
I do tend to draw my characters, if only because I find it to be a useful aid to writing... If I can sit there and glance at a picture or sketch, I can remember what goes where on the clothing, what colour and length the hair is etc. I know I should know all that without needing to look, but you'd be surprised how easy it can be to make incredibly stupid mistakes sometimes. :P

Shanoncia
January 18th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Kachi
I do tend to draw my characters, if only because I find it to be a useful aid to writing... If I can sit there and glance at a picture or sketch, I can remember what goes where on the clothing, what colour and length the hair is etc. I know I should know all that without needing to look, but you'd be surprised how easy it can be to make incredibly stupid mistakes sometimes. :P

That's a great point Kachi. I've a few errors in colours or clothing. I should pin my sketches up by my comp to remind me. Thanks! Brilliant! :D