PDA

View Full Version : The new animated Sinbad movie

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zsinj
December 25th, 2003, 10:05 PM
I'm probably going to get flayed alive for saying this, but I really enjoyed the new Sinbad animated movie from Dreamworks. I think right now, imo, animated movies have emerged from a very dark age and are now entering somewhat of a golden age. I can't tell you how mad I got at all this animated musical fluff that Disney and Pixar called movies. PUH-LEESE! The only good animated movies I saw with a musical side to them were The Lion King, Mulan, (That one passed only by the skin of its teeth. Listening to Donny Osmond wail like a dying cat was quite excruciating! :mad: ) Arabian Nights, An American Tale, Aladdin, Aladdin II: The Return of Jafar (Don't enen get me started on how horrible the third one was! And Princess Jasmine annoyed me to death, frankly I think her personality would have been much better as a seductress-like person than a pining, lovesick, blubbery princess!) and The Prince of Egypt (It's biblical-based animated follow-up, Joseph sucked serious arse!! The filmmakers probably thought that since people liked The Prince of Egypt, and one of the things they marvelled at was the animation, then they'd probably like a well-animated movie with almost no plot at all. Really from what I've seen of the general consensus, not very many people give a crap about Joseph's story, which isn't to say that I don't think it's an important part of the Bible because I do, as a Christian I think every part is important, but not all of them are perfect for epic movie status. I think if Pixar really wanted to make more good historical biblical epics, they'd interpret the more exciting and dramatic parts of the Bible, which more of the consensus care about and are interested about, such as Satan's expulsion from heaven, David vs. Goliath, the Death and Ressurection of Christ, and, my personal fave, Armageddon.)
Anyway, I just wanted to ask what everybody thought about the Sinbad movie.

Twelve
December 28th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Just bought and watched the Sinbad movie this past week...

Yeah, I was impressed with the film. I think the main reason why it wasn't so popular is because it isn't computer generated like Finding Nemo. I think people are getting bored with simple animation these days(although there were plenty of computer tricks in the film).

Sinbad is the kind of film that I'll watch again, sure...but I can't say I was too psyched about it. I don't think Brad Pitt's voice matches what I imagine Sinbad to be at all. There were also a few things that happened in the movie that seemed too unbelievable even for a fantasy story...

And also...

SPOILER

the movie ends just like Pirates of Carribean. Amazing how similar it was.

END SPOILER

All in all, it wasn't a bad film at all.