PDA

View Full Version : Classic and/or World cinema recomendations ...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Dystran Hart
December 27th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Hello, just trying to build up my collection again, after a burglary doh!

Basically I am looking for non-hollywood movies. Ones that perhaps the general public may not have heard of, but you think are excellent. Subtitles and black and white does not matter heh.

Feel free to add any others too if you think they are very good. I still collect the Coen Brothers and a few other movies (Taxi driver, Shawshank etc).

Cheers for any recommendations, I can check them on Amazon for more details about them if ive not heard of them.

Just a few good movies that I thought were excellent inacse anyone is interested.

Once were warriors
Y Tu Mama
Amores Perros
Europa Europa
Withnail and I
The 400 blows
Irreversible (disturbing)
Leon
Subway
Jean De Florette
Seven Samurai
Versus
Battle Royale
Ring, Ring 0 (not the USA version)
Delicatessen
Amelie
Romper Stomper

Rgds

Dawnstorm
December 28th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Eat the Rich (GB)
Being John Malkovich (USA)
Adaption (USA)
The Interview (Australia)
Proof (Australia)
The Piano (New Zealand)

Ouroboros
December 28th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Ireland:
'The General'
'Intermission'
'A Further Gesture'

France:
'The Hate'
'La femme Nikita' (excellent)

Germany:
'Das Experiment'

Italy:
'La Sciorta'

England:
'Scum'

You mention the excellent 'Once were warriors' from NZ, which is one of my favourite moves. You might also like '..And what becomes of the broken hearted?', which is the sequel. Not quite so sharp, but still worthwhile.

Nevyn
December 28th, 2003, 04:25 PM
" Two Hands " - Australia
" Tie Me Up , Tie Me Down " - Spain
" Betty Blue " - France

Dystran Hart
December 29th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Ouroboros
Ireland:
'The General'
'Intermission'
'A Further Gesture'

France:
'The Hate'
'La femme Nikita' (excellent)

Germany:
'Das Experiment'

Italy:
'La Sciorta'

England:
'Scum'

You mention the excellent 'Once were warriors' from NZ, which is one of my favourite moves. You might also like '..And what becomes of the broken hearted?', which is the sequel. Not quite so sharp, but still worthwhile.

Yes I saw the second one :) was also good, but I agree with you that it was not so sharp as the original!

Oh yes "The hate" means "Le Haine" in French which is the one that i mentioned (just incase you didnt know, you probably do though).

Good list by the way, seen a few of those - but not all so will check them out for sure!. Looking at your list, you may be interested in "Romper Stomper".

Cheers for that!

Dystran Hart
December 29th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Thanks Dawnstorm and Nevyn - will check those out, a couple look intereting (checked them out on amazon!). I forgot about The Piano - good film!

Ouroboros
December 29th, 2003, 03:57 PM
'Romper Stomper' has Russell Crowe in it, doesn't it? Think I've seen that...

It reminds me of another movie whose name escapes me, about a guy whose girlfriend is raped by skinheads. After she kills herself, he becomes a skinhead and infiltrates the same gang with the intent of taking revenge. Pretty disturbing stuff.

And that in turn reminds me of a damn good movie about a cop going undercover with football hooligans, called 'I.D'. :D

Oorag
December 31st, 2003, 04:22 AM
Pacte des Lupes (Brotherhood of the Wolf) - mystery/kung-fu/horror/period peice. A French explorer and his Indian friend are summoned to hunt down a monster thought to be the scourge of God. Also features Monica Bellucci's breasts.

Shaolin Soccer - Out-of-work Shaolin monks use their anime-esque kung fu abilities to play soccer. Everything played for laughs. Very fun, but you'll have to get it on Ebay until it's released stateside.

Hero - If you liked Crouching Tiger, find this movie! Very, very cool martial-arts movie in which a man claiming to have slain the empire's three worst enemies comes to the Emporer and tells his tale. Ebay for this one too.

City of Lost Children - We've got Amelie and Delicatessen, might as well mention the other one. A carnival strong-man tries to rescue his little brother from the clutches of a mad scientist's creations, one of whom steals dreams from children.

kahnovitch
December 31st, 2003, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by Ouroboros
And that in turn reminds me of a damn good movie about a cop going undercover with football hooligans, called 'I.D'. :D

You read my mind on that one mate.

The original "Vanishing" is a good film. I think it's Dutch and is way better than the remake with Jeff Bridges

Ouroboros
December 31st, 2003, 08:53 AM
Thought of another Jean Reno / Vincent Cassell film, which has been called the French 'Se7en' : 'Les Rivieres Poupres' ('The Crimson Rivers'). Excellent thriller set in an apline college town with a legacy of eugenic experimentation and murder.