PDA

View Full Version : Character advice?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Corvus
December 27th, 2003, 06:07 PM
The story I'm working on right now has three main characters. Each of these characters is vital to the plot as I've conceived it. But I have a small problem. Though I've done work on each character to make them all individuals, one of them has just become infinitely more fascinating than the other two.

I think the reason this character is so fascinating is that she's based in part on another character I've had for a long, long time, who has developed quite a bit of life over the years, whereas the other two are original for this story.

At this point I am debating with myself. Should I rework the plot to focus simply on the character I find interesting, and work in planned events for the other two as background information? Or should I try harder to make the other two more interesting? I'd be more specific with plot details if I weren't afraid of boring people to death, here. I just want to make up my mind before continuing. I've got a 50,000 word investment in this thing already, and I don't want to change my mind multiple times to the point where I decide to scrap the whole thing. Any advice?

Lucky Joe
December 27th, 2003, 07:11 PM
I'd say stick with them, but of course that's something you're really going to have to figure out for yourself. I think you'll find as you work on the newer characters that they'll become as real and fleshed-out as the older more familiar character.

I'm using old and new characters for a story I'm writing now, and though one or two of the older characters are taking centre stage a couple of them have taken a step back, probably because I've already explored their personalities and am fairly confident with their behaviour, leaving me to work on other newer characters.

Bardos
December 28th, 2003, 03:23 AM
I'd say continue. As the story progresses, you might even find that some secondary characters become very interesting; that doesn't mean you have to change the story. When the characters seem alive, that is usually a good thing.

Now, if we knew more of your plot, we might have something more to suggest. :)

choppy
December 28th, 2003, 12:26 PM
I have the problem, or one like it, every once in a while too.

One exercise that helps on occasion is to sit down and do a little brainstorming with the characters that just are not working - interview them and dig for the skeletons in their closets. Do not stop until you find something interesting. Ask about their motivations, their desires, their passions, etc.

Most people are pretty interesting if you dig deep enough. The trick is getting to the good stuff.

JRMurdock
December 29th, 2003, 09:41 AM
I agree with all that's been posted. Stick with these characters. It's alwasy hard to say at the onset of a story who will stick out and who will not. I've written a story with 6 main characters and a multitude of sub characters and some of those sub characters have proven to be quite interesting and once I complete some writting, I've plotted out sub stories for those other characters.

Soon you'll find that these new characters will be old characters to you and they'll have just as much personality as your old characters do now.

Maus99

Cephus
January 4th, 2004, 11:46 PM
I'd say keep it as is. Just because you find that character fascinating doesn't mean the reader, who doesn't have the same 'history' with the character, will.

Corvus
January 5th, 2004, 12:36 PM
I think my solution lies in getting away from the "really interesting character" and spending more time "playing" with the other two. I've done a bit of tinkering/noodling and things seem to be looking up a bit there. Thanks, everyone, for the opinions, and if anybody else has anything to add, my ears/eyes are always open.

pcarney
January 5th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Write up a character sheet for the two less interesting characters. Write down their history, what they want, how they can get it, and what their story arch is. I find that if I think more about the character's history, they become more interesting to me..that is, if you know where they come from you have a better idea of how they 'tick'.

Expendable
January 6th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by pcarney
Write up a character sheet for the two less interesting characters. Write down their history, what they want, how they can get it, and what their story arch is. I find that if I think more about the character's history, they become more interesting to me..that is, if you know where they come from you have a better idea of how they 'tick'.

Have you noticed everyone's telling you to stick with what you've got and work harder on improving the other two characters?

I'm gonna tell you that too. Who are these two? What brought them here with the other character? What's their story?