PDA

View Full Version : When do you consider yourself published?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

JRMurdock
December 30th, 2003, 12:03 AM
When do you consider yourself published?

I ask this question for I've just sold my first short story (I'm not looking to pimp my story or get pats on the back). OK, not really a short story, but a piece of flash fiction. Being that it's not even considered a short story, I consider this a minor vistory and something that'll look good the next time I submit a piece of work, but being that this is my first published work, I was wondering when an author would consider himself/herself actually published?

Perhaps I'm just caught up in the excitement of the first time I've gotten a letter back that didn't say 'Thank you, but not at this time'

Thanks

Maus99

Lucky Joe
December 30th, 2003, 02:24 AM
First of all congratulations. :D

As for when do you consider yourself published?

Dunno really.

I think it comes down to the individual, lots of different people seem to have different ideas about this, I would say that you're published now, you've written a piece, its been accepted and is going to be made into part of a publication. Published!

Some people might not consider themselves published until they have a book deal from a major publishing house and others may think of themselves as published authors the minute they post a short story on a website somewhere. I had a book published by a Print on Demand Publisher and think of myself as published, however some people might disagree - which of course is fine.

Personally I think it has more to do with the goals you set for yourself and achieving them.

I also think you should take every victory - however small - and celebrate it thoroughly.

Sorry for rambling on (I'm reading a few books on the subject and they've put all sorts of funny ideas into my head):rolleyes:

user123
December 30th, 2003, 02:37 AM
You can think of yourself as published as soon as someone agrees to put your work in print, be it a magazine or novel, its in print and its out there for the world to see.

So good for you and keed writing, YOU ARE A PUBLISHED AUTHOR NOW:)

juzzza
December 30th, 2003, 08:32 AM
Well done maus99, you are published.

I would consider someone as published when their work is considered and accepted by an independent third party, even better if that third party pays the author for the work, even if it is 0.5c a word!!!

But, then you have publishers like Equilibrium books who are POD Publishers, which can get a bad press, but knowing the people involved and the fact that they are very selective, I would consider these authors as published also.

Personally, I see each short story or flash fiction acceptance as one step closer to the book deal, one more publish credit to bolster the writing CV when it falls in the hands of prospect agents/publishers.

Congrats again.

evil dr bad
December 30th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Where did you get it published?

Cephus
January 4th, 2004, 11:44 PM
So long as a third party has accepted and paid you for your work, you're a published author. I really don't consider people who get published for free to be 'published', since heck, anyone can post their own work on the net for free, that doesn't make it 'published'.

So I'd say you're officially published. Congrats!

primemover
January 7th, 2004, 06:40 PM
You are a published writer--whether its a fiction piece or not. The fact that someone paid you for it is all the better--though anytime someone is willing to read your work--and actually finishes it--should be something to be proud of. :) The funny thing about writing as opposed to say, visual arts, theatre, or film--is that there is much contemplation of what actually constitutes professional acceptance--not by readers, but by people interested in it professionally. This has become so bad that organizations like the SFWA have special rules to define an elitist determination of what constitutes "professional publishing." "Vanity" publishing is the most common example of this. You dont find this sort of debate in other arts from what i can tell. It may have to do with the fact that most professional writers do not make much money--in comparison to say, painters--who can be completely unknown and still earn enough to support themselves from art shows. Few writers can do this--even ones who have sold stories at SFWA rates. So maybe it has to do with a sense of insecurity.
Also, in sculpture and painting, the idea of paying someone else to "publish" your work(like self-publishing firms or POD subsidy companies do)--making art prints or bronze sculpture copies--which you then sell to others, has been going on for decades. It isnt called vanity, like it is in writing. And compare it to film--where a low budget movie can be screened at a festival alongside big budget hollywood movies. In fact, writing is also funny in that the more jobs in the production process you take on yourself--the less professional you may be regarded as being (i.e., you write, print, format, design the cover, and mass produce it yourself--in essence, self-publish). In film, sculpture, and painting, the more items in the production process you do yourself, the more self publishing you do, -the more of a serious artist you may be regarded as being(in film you are called an "auteur.")