PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think should be the next Dr Who?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Leiali
January 2nd, 2004, 09:01 AM
Just out of curiosity, I wondered if anyone has been paying much attention to the fact that a new Dr Who series has been planned by the BBC for release in 2005. Lots of names are buzzing around at the mo:

Eddie Izzard
Richard E Grant
Alan Davies

I spoke to a friend who used to be in it (!) and his vote goes to Bill Nighy of Love Actually fame.

What do people think?
PS - this is my first thread (gulp)so I am praying for at least one reply. Please...

Caleddin
January 2nd, 2004, 09:04 AM
Sadly another name that's also buzzing around is Stephen Fry. I shudder at the thought. Richard E. Grant gets my vote out of the three.

Also slightly off topic have you also seen that both Battlestar Galactica and dum dum dum (cue dodgy music) Blake7 are coming back as well!

Thekherham
January 2nd, 2004, 09:50 AM
If Battlestar Galactia is coming back I hope it will be better than the awful series back in the '70's. (I think it was on in the '70's).

Leiali
January 2nd, 2004, 09:54 AM
I think that Richard E Grant is not quite right. Too posh? Too tanned? Too attractive? I don't know. imo they should go back to the whole Tom Baker thing, as he was the most popular Dr, and bearing that in mind, I would vote for Alan Davies. Quirky and all that.

Blake 7......I can't see how they could top the original. Especially not the baddie. Forget her name but she was always in black with red lip stick and all dominatrixy. And on the note of Sci Fi tv classics, a new Red Dwarf film is in the pipeline with the original cast starring apparantly..Not sure if they can recover from the last series though.

....STEPHEN FRY? He has a personality as big as Dr Who! They need someone fairly obscure! Though he is an excellent all rounder imo, he is too overwhelmingly clever and eccentric as it is.

Caleddin
January 2nd, 2004, 10:01 AM
Servalan is I think you mean :-) The nice thing is Paul Darrow was/is doing some of the producing.

As to Stephen Fry as Dr.Who I had the terrible image of Hugh Laurie playing his assistant! Jeeves and Wooster reversed! Shudder.

What about Pertwee's son? That was another name that has been bandied about.

Battlestar Galactica... Apollo don't ask me his real name has had a lot to do with it. Supposedly it will be shown on Sci-Fi.

Dystran Hart
January 6th, 2004, 04:44 PM
How about Ricky Gervais (The Office)

Now that would be funny

milamber_reborn
January 6th, 2004, 11:47 PM
An unknown British actor. Why break a proven formula?

Or Paul McGann. Two regenerations in consecutive stories? I don't think so. And isn't Richard E. Grant the official 9th Doctor now?

Hobbit
January 7th, 2004, 04:37 AM
Rather than merge the two threads (and lose Leiali her first thread!) here's (http://www.sffworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6525) an old thread where the topic came up....

...since writing my comments there I'm coming to the view that a complete newcomer should take on the role.

Having said that and got some Dr Who Audio CD's for Christmas, I'm very impressed with Paul McGann's work there. I'd really like to see him being given a better chance, though I suspect it's rather unlikely.

Hobbit

kahnovitch
January 7th, 2004, 04:38 AM
I think Richard E Grant is a great choice. He's got the right sort of eccentricity and worldly, travelled look and accent about him.
Plus the outfit would actually suit him.

Hobbit
January 7th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Yes - I should have added to my earlier post that Richard E Grant was in the Comic Relief version (The Curse of Fatal Death, wasn't it?) for about 2 minutes as Doctor Who, as was Hugh Grant. Both were pretty good, though I'm not impressed with the Shadow of the Shalka Internet story where Mr Grant is currently 'performing'. Might be the story rather than the portrayal, though.

Mr Grant is included in the official coffee book produced by the BBC for the 40th Anniversary, which actually annoyed me a little as he's not done much so far. Conversely, Paul McGann's Doctor wasn't included in the BBC TV programme about 40 Years of Doctor Who shown here in the UK at Christmas...

The problem with established actors is that they bring their previous repertoire with them. I keep thinking of Richard E Grant as Withnail (where he worked with Paul McGann!) rather than the good Doctor. Typecasting I know, but as a result I think that a new relatively unknown person might be the best bet, myself.

Hobbit