PDA

View Full Version : Read to help write to help read...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zeriph
January 3rd, 2004, 07:20 PM
I read about two to three books a month. usually between the 500 and 800 page range. Is it me or does writing help you read better and vica versa? I remember writing a story and then putting it away for some time.Not to long ago I got out my old writing binger and looked through it. Wow did I suck!I compared it to how I write know and there have been some MAJOR changes somewhere in my style and Grammar Between then and now. I suggest to everybody that doesn't do it, read!! It will blow your mind away after writing something, reading alot, writing something else and comparing the old with the new. It is also easier to pick out your mistakes because they show up "double highlighted" if you read your old then new, you will be twice as likely to see the "same old mistakes" that you are prone to making.

speculative-one
January 3rd, 2004, 09:20 PM
It would be painful to see how awful my writing used to be. :D But, I do want to go back and read my first novel sometime, simply because I still really like the story, if not always its execution...

-speculative

milamber_reborn
January 3rd, 2004, 09:53 PM
I make a point to study as I read. I take notes of various words and phrases, I analyse the grammar and sentence structure etc. It's the only way to learn the core of good writing.

Lucky Joe
January 3rd, 2004, 11:19 PM
I know a few people who say they try not to read at all when they're writing, something about subconsciously copying what they're reading.

Personally I think you should try and read as much as possible. As far I can see, the more you read, the better your own writing would become.

Iskaral Pust
January 4th, 2004, 07:25 AM
When I'm about to start writing a new chapter, I think of a writer whose style I think I'm similar to. I read a chapter of their work, taking note of how much description, dialouge and actions they include and try to stick generally to that for my own chapter.

speculative-one
January 4th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Lucky Joe
I know a few people who say they try not to read at all when they're writing, something about subconsciously copying what they're reading.

Personally I think you should try and read as much as possible. As far I can see, the more you read, the better your own writing would become.

I'm definitely one of those people, for time's sake as much as anything. I only have time to write OR read at this point, and I choose to write instead...

One way to get around the copying danger is to watch how stories/characters evolve in film/tv instead of books while you're working on a story. This generates ideas more than it reveals techniques so it's a bit safer...

-speculative

Hellsfire
January 5th, 2004, 12:10 AM
King had it right when he said that to make it you must read a lot and write a lot. Unless you're reading a non fiction book, I don't think you should look for stuff when you're reading a fiction book. I think you should just sit back and enjoy the story, at least for the first time.

As for trying to be similiar to someone's style I think Card is right. He said that style is overrated and that you shouldn't worry about it too much because it'll just come out. I don't know about any of you, but I hate it when there are author rip offs. Those blurbs where they say this person is like so and so. Most of the time they're just cheap knockoffs.

wordsarepoison
January 5th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by milamber_reborn
I make a point to study as I read. I take notes of various words and phrases, I analyse the grammar and sentence structure etc. It's the only way to learn the core of good writing.

I could never study a novel's technical make up whilst I read it. I never liked analysing writing and that's one of the reasons I never wanted to take A level English Lit.

I read a lot and try to read a variety of styles and authors. I'd hate to read a lot of Anne Rice and end up writing in her very purple style.
Some of it must be helping as I went back to my Lunar-set story and realised I could write much better. I'm almost glad my brother crashed the computer and lost my first attempt at writing. I think re-reading it would've been painful.

Caleddin
January 5th, 2004, 05:50 AM
Me I read lots, and I mean lots. Average of five or so books a week, plus those that I listen to as I'm driving. I don't think it matters what you read, you can learn from anything, at the moment I'm reading about the Voyinch manuscript. Although that said I am writing about the knights templar.

Zeriph
January 5th, 2004, 02:02 PM
I Read a book for enjoyment, but who doesn't? I also sort of study the book while I read, though just at a more subconcious level where I can study it for later purposes.I don't write notes or anything about the book but I do, in a way,"study" it as I read.