View Full Version : Alien vs. Predator

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Davis Ashura
January 12th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Anyone here anything about this movie? All I know is that I saw a movie poster while I was about to see LOTR and all it showed was part of a mask. My internal geekometer sent me warning signals that this was important, and I realized it was the mask a Predator wears, and that there is going to be a movie about Aliens fighting Predators coming out this summer.

Eurytus
January 12th, 2004, 11:02 AM
There is a movie coming out. However be warned, the director is a certain Paul Anderson, and we are not talking the guy who directed Magnolia and Boogie Nights. No, we are talking the guy who directed such cinematic gems as Resident Evil, Soldier and Event Horizon. That being so I would not expect to much from the film, although I am interested in a purely “car crash” level as to how low these franchises can sink after Resurrection and Predator 2.
I fear the answer will be, much lower.

Here’s what I know. The film is set on Earth but in or near to our present time. It will deal with the origins of “The Corporation” that exists in the Alien film and how they originally became interested in the Aliens. Lance Henriksen will be in it as the head of the Corp, upon whose likeness Bishop was based.
The majority of the film is set in the Antarctica where they find an Alien or Predator (can’t remember exactly) temple. This temple will have a somewhat Aztec feel.
I am not sure about much more than that although it will of course feature Aliens versus Predators. If I remember correctly I think the Predators and Human characters have to “team up” to defeat the Aliens.
Although I shudder at the thought…..

kahnovitch
January 12th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Yes indeed.That's pretty much the jist of it, Eurytus.
There's no Siggy or Arnie in this one, but we do have a Ripley character in the shape of Sanae Latham (Blade's Mother in "Blade"), who is a sort of female Indiana Jones. i.e. archeologist and all round tough chick.

I'm sure I started a thread abotu this aeons ago. if I can find it, I'll dig it up sometime.

Anyone who's read the AVP graphic novels will probably curse this film as it sounds like it has all the usual formulaic rubbish we are seeing too much of these days.

I'll rant on more later.

Davis Ashura
January 12th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Damn! It sounds like it's going to suck. What I remember about the graphic novels is that the Predators were some sort of pseudo-Samurai/Klingons with all this stuff about honor and the warrior ethos. And some woman impressed the hell out of them, and so they made her one of their own.
Is that about right?

milamber_reborn
January 12th, 2004, 10:44 PM
If it's as cool as the game(s), I'll be happy.

kahnovitch
January 13th, 2004, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Radone
Damn! It sounds like it's going to suck. What I remember about the graphic novels is that the Predators were some sort of pseudo-Samurai/Klingons with all this stuff about honor and the warrior ethos. And some woman impressed the hell out of them, and so they made her one of their own.
Is that about right?

Yep I remember that one well. A young oriental woman actually joined a Predator clan.
There was a whole history of the Aliens and Preds going way back as the Preds usued to deliberately infest some planets with Aliens to use as hunting grounds for sport.
The fact that Siggy Weaver had nothing to do with this pleased me, but then when I saw the synopsis I began to cringe in revulsion.
Still, i could be wrong and it may yet turn out well, but I'm not going to hold my breath. ;)

kater
January 13th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Cominsoon.net got behind the scenes access because of the bad hype surrounding the film and said they were quite impressed and the site is almost always spot on I've found, here's the synopsis for the film and if you click on the links for the stories below it tells you all the uptodate stuff:
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/a/alienvspredator.php

kahnovitch
March 15th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Just seen the trailer for this at a website FB supplied a link to on the I Robot thread....

link (http://www.apple.com/trailers/)

The trailer is basically Paul Anderson talking about his vision for the film, which sadly included ripping off the old Von Danniken "Charoits of the Gods" idea which was already fully realised and played out in "Stargate".
Replace "Ra" and his species with Preds and Hey Presto! the premise and history for the film is set. :rolleyes:
Again I was hoping for so much more from this idea, and all the director had to do was look to the game or graphic novels for inspiration.
But now alas, we are the product of genetic manipulation by the predator race who used us as slaves blah de blah, you know the rest.
Imagination seems to be a rare commodity in SF these days.

fluffy bunny
March 15th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Well, if I remember right:

It's based on the computer games rather than the graphic novels (the first one of which was quite good if I recall). Despite being 'based on the computer games,' it seems to have no resemblance plot wise to them at all.

It's by the person who brought you RE, Soldier, Mortal Combat. Oh he wrote the script as well.

2 18 rated franchises meet in a PG-13 rated film (at least that's what the director's aiming for)

kahnovitch
March 15th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by fluffy bunny
Despite being 'based on the computer games,' it seems to have no resemblance plot wise to them at all.

It's by the person who brought you RE, Soldier, Mortal Combat. Oh he wrote the script as well.

I was eagerly awaiting Res Evil until I heard George A Romero (the Godfather of zombie movies who's inspired the Res Evil games in the first place) pulled out of the project.
Wasn't impressed with Res Evil, although it captured some of the feel of the game, but basically was disappointing for me.