PDA

View Full Version : Why has Dracula never been shown in his true form in the movies?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zsinj
January 12th, 2004, 12:01 PM
I've always wondered this. Why can't hollywood seem to portray the Prince of Darkness right and accurately. I mean, it's not that hard! Never in the movies have they portrayed Dracula in his true form, like he was portrayed in the book by Bram Stoker, with long white hair, a mustache, a gotee-like beard, crimson glowing eyes, pointed ears, basically like a much older Elric. The movie Bram Stoker's Dracula with Gary Oldman came the closest to portraying him truly, but it still needed a bit of work, imo. Now don't get me wrong, there are a few interpretations of Dracula in the movies that have been revolutionary and that I like, such as Nosferatu, who without that interpretation being invented, we wouldn't have one ofthe most awesome breeds of vampires in literature today, and Christopher Lee's Dracula, who was the first to bring the fangs and crimson eyes to the big screen. But beyond that, I honestly don't care for how Dracula is being misrepresented in the movies. There is only one form of media that I've seen, that portrays Dracula truly like he is in Stoker's novel and that is video games, with the more recent Castlevania titles. Here's a picture of how he's portrayed:

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Pagoda/1454/dracula1.jpg

See, now that's what I'm talkin' about! Why can't he be portrayed more like that in the movies?!

Calis
January 12th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Zsinj
See, now that's what I'm talkin' about! Why can't he be portrayed more like that in the movies?!

a box with a red cross?

Zsinj
January 12th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Okay smart aleck. :D
The picture of him works fine on my computer, but if you have trouble with yours, just sideclick on the item, go to the properties menu, and copy and paste the link/web adress that's in there to your webbrowser, and that should take you to the picture.

Holbrook
January 13th, 2004, 02:30 AM
Geocities don't allow direct links for pictures, best to just put the url then folks can click on it, though that sometimes fails.

Oorag
January 13th, 2004, 02:30 AM
Stoker wrote Dracula as having white hair and pointed ears while in "young prince" form? I never read the book, but I thought he was supposed to be able to pass for human when he looked young. I really liked the youthful form Coppola gave him, and his older form was suitably weird and creepy.

For lazy types, the url of the picture is

kater
January 13th, 2004, 08:56 AM
It'll be interesting to see how Dracula and the other two classic 'baddies' (werewolf and Frankenstein's monster) will be portrayed in the new Van Helsing movie as it looks pretty dark.

Zsinj
January 13th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Yes, I really look forward to the Van Helsing movie, and so does my sitster. We're both vampire nuts! :D

Stoker wrote Dracula as having white hair and pointed ears while in "young prince" form? I never read the book, but I thought he was supposed to be able to pass for human when he looked young.I really liked the youthful form Coppola gave him, and his older form was suitably weird and creepy.

Dracula did indeed have a young prince form when he travelled to london in the book, but he doesn't show himself as much as he does in the movie, the dance between him and Mina Harker that happened in the movie, never happened in the book. If I remember right, though, Francis Ford Coppola's version of Dracula's young prince look is pretty much on par with the book. And I really liked the older form of him too, he reminded me a bit of Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars. Coppola's Dracula may not exactly match the book to the letter with Dracula's appearance, but it towers above all the other Dracula movies, imho.

kahnovitch
January 14th, 2004, 05:53 AM
The young Dracula in the movie did have a 'tache and goatee, but the older Drac in the film did seem a bit comical with that large bee-hive (for want of a better word) hair-do.
He was a bit too effeminate looking and I expected a more manly appearance.

The Van Helsing film has potential, but not doubt will bear no resemblance to the Helsing we all know from the Bram Stoker story, as he was an older, more worldy man.

But from what I've heard it's going to be a sort of "VAn Helsing: The Early Years.".
A kind of Victorian "Blade" I suppose, in the way that "League of X Gentlemen" was like a sort of a Justice League of America.

Twelve
January 14th, 2004, 06:08 AM

Indeed...I've always thought that this pic from Symphony of the Night was well done, as are the portraits of the other characters in that booklet. I too would like to see Dracula done properly...and to see him lose in end.:D