PDA

View Full Version : "Hero" far East kung fu type movies ...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Dystran Hart
January 12th, 2004, 01:18 PM
I just watched this movie - and I thought it was fantastic!

I like kung fu movies - but I particularly liked the fel of this film, the music, photography and storyline aswell as the action sequences. Any other films around like "Hero"?

Thanks!

Oorag
January 13th, 2004, 02:38 AM
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is the only one I know. I've been loaning my copy of Hero out to all my friends, and they all love it. I'd also like to know about any other movies like it.

Dystran Hart
January 13th, 2004, 04:33 AM
Thanks for that - that was the only film that I could compare to it also!

Just an update .... "The Emperor and the Assassin" I think tells the same story. "Hero" was based upon that older movie I think. The Emperor and the Assassin is supposedly an excellent movie/

Nevyn
January 13th, 2004, 05:49 AM
I loved " The Emperor and The Assassin " watched it a couple of times last year . Not what I would call a Kung Fu movie though !

chocky
January 13th, 2004, 05:17 PM
The Emperor and the Assassin is a great movie, but it is a dramatic movie with more war scenes than fighting . Both Hero and Assassin are based on the same events but are very differnt movies. If you like it try Musa; The Warrior (Korean) and The Legend of Soruythai (sp?)(Thailand).
For an action movies, try Iron Monkey, or Legend of Zu
IMO you can't go wrong with any of them.

Oorag
January 14th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Heh, funny, I bought the Emporer and the Assassin sight-unseen along with Hero, but it's a VERY, VERY different movie.

Emporer and the Assassin has very little action, if that's what you want, and the action is displayed as violence, in a minimalistic, unglamorized fashion quite the opposite of Honk Kong chop-socky. While some of the themes and lessons learned are actually fairly similar (not stated to prevent spoilers), EatA has more in common with Gone With the Wind than Hero, in my opinion.

Iron Monkey is very solid HK stuff, funny, with a few clever touches, and lots of action. Not as good as Hero, in my opinion, but fun.

I'd recommend Shaolin Soccer if this is the kind of stuff you like. Lots of ludicrously over-the-top kung-fu foolishness played completely for laughs.

Warriors of Zu I just didn't get. I only watched it once, at about 5 am waiting for a ride and falling asleep, so I might be slighting it, but what I did see was totally bizarre and abstract bordering on incomprehensibility. Just about everything onscreen except the actors is CG and looks it, but it had a few interesting images. View at your own risk on this one.

Eurytus
January 15th, 2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Oorag
Warriors of Zu I just didn't get. I only watched it once, at about 5 am waiting for a ride and falling asleep, so I might be slighting it, but what I did see was totally bizarre and abstract bordering on incomprehensibility. Just about everything onscreen except the actors is CG and looks it, but it had a few interesting images. View at your own risk on this one.

I do not believe that you are slighting it. The first time I watched it was on TV one Christmas, it was late and I was full of a certain type of “Christmas Spirit”, well ok, it was vodka.
When I thought about the movie the next day I figured that I must have fallen asleep quite early on, because what I thought the movie was about was….well, no sane director would film it. A man with extendible and seemingly indestructible eyebrows!?

Well, I eventually brought it on DVD as part of the Hong Kong legends series and discovered that my memories were correct. It was totally bonkers and made very little sense. It is ok in parts but I certainly would not recommend it as an intro to Hong Kong movies.

Now Mr. Vampire on the other hand….now that is good. Hopping vampires, undertaker’s “customers” who likewise hope around. Dodgy humour. Its like a Carry-on film with Jackie Chan in it. I kept expecting Sid James to turn up. Great film.

Iron Monkey, as had already been mentioned is also good.

Legend of Fong Sai Yuk with Jet Li (though it has several names) is one of my favourites.

Spooky Encounters is pretty good too.

And the first couple of Once Upon A Time In China films are pretty good too.

Bond
January 15th, 2004, 10:44 AM
I'm ambivalent on Hero. On one hand it is a cinematographic spectacle. On the other hand it was a fairy tale story I thought that was told in an overly dry way with what struck me as a lot of hollow arty drama. The "moral" of the story is also very old school Chinese and unlikely to leave one with a more Western or even simply modern value system satisfied. On the action front there was probably only one good action fight. The others were merely camera tricks pretty as they might look.

Similar movies? I'd say those fairy tale movies on the Hallmark channel come closest. If one is thinking of oriental martial arts movies, however, with fantastic flair maybe Swordsman 2.