PDA

View Full Version : Question re: writing groups/schools

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

dwood
January 12th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Was curious if anyone had any experiences or opinions of Long Ridge Writers Group or similar types of organizations...?

At the end of the day is it worth it, or can you gain just as much value by plugging along on your own?

Thanks...

choppy
January 12th, 2004, 10:12 PM
I'm not familiar with the Long Ridge Writers Group, but here's a few thoughts.

Writer's groups in general can be a good thing, depending on what you want to get out of membership, and what the group is able to provide. Of the groups I've been involved with (local small groups and NaNoWriMo get-togethers) I've found that quite often we tend to stray from the topic of writing.

It's good to have other writers to talk to, read your work, get feedback from, etc. Sometimes when you're reading other people's stuff, you can see mistakes that you make yourself. They can also serve to motivate you, and keep you on target with a given project. Personally, I've found that my writing really advanced when I started showing it to other people.

Be wary if they're charging money. If this is the case, be sure to find out exactly what you're going to get out of it, and whether or not that's worth the money they're charging. There's no secret formula.