PDA

View Full Version : Brotherhood of the Wolf: A Good Movie!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Zsinj
January 14th, 2004, 02:54 PM
I finally saw the movie Brotherhood of the Wolf, and I must say that it is one of the best movies that I have ever seen! I just love how it's a dark fantasy set in the French Revolution, one of my favorite periods in history.

**WARNING!! SPOILERS AHEAD!!**
I was quite surprised with the ending and what the whole thing turned out to be. I was expecting it to be about a giant werewolf that was worshipped by a dark cult of warrior fanatics, but instead it was a group of warrior fanatics who were "protecting" the church and plotting against the throne. And the "beast" was this wierd, prehistoric-like creature from Africa.
There were a few things that I didn't understand about this movie.

I. I didn't ever see the people say what kind of monster/mythical creature the beast truly was. Did they just leave him unidentified, or did I miss something?

II. What was that deal about with that dude with the wierd arm, with claws on the ends of his fingers, I didn't really understand that. And was he the same dude with the cape that was in the shadows that played the flute to summon the beast?

III. I heard some people say that this movie was gothic, but I didn't really see any gothicness in it. Where was the gothicness?

**END SPOILERS**

I would really appreciate it if someone could please tie up these loose ends for me, thanx! :D

Dominus
January 14th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Pertaining to I, I'm fairly certain that the 'beast' was simply a lion all decked out in armor, if I'm remembering the movie correctly.

Eurytus
January 14th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Zsinj
I. I didn't ever see the people say what kind of monster/mythical creature the beast truly was. Did they just leave him unidentified, or did I miss something?

II. What was that deal about with that dude with the wierd arm, with claws on the ends of his fingers, I didn't really understand that. And was he the same dude with the cape that was in the shadows that played the flute to summon the beast?

III. I heard some people say that this movie was gothic, but I didn't really see any gothicness in it. Where was the gothicness?

As Dominus says the beast was a lion, bred to be viscious and decked out in body armour.

The guy with the weird arm was the same guy with the whistle. I found his sword a bit over the top though. I mean Soul Caliber maybe, a film? No.

As for Gothic. Well gothic means "a style of fiction characterized by the use of desolate or remote settings and macabre, mysterious, or violent incidents".

I would say that it meets all these requirements.

Zsinj
January 14th, 2004, 03:36 PM
I found his sword a bit over the top though.

Personally I thought his sword kicked arse!! That thing was awesome! :eek:

Oorag
January 14th, 2004, 06:02 PM
I. It's a lion, as the other people have said. You can see the gold fur around the eye in some shots. Most likely, it is the very lion that mauled Jean-François, enthralled and brought back to France along with all the other trophies Fronsac sees in his lair.

II. He claimed he lost his arm after a run in with a lion, but it really just got badly scarred. He hides it and lies about it, probably out of vanity, but also maybe as a cover. His fingers didn't have claws, he just didn't clip his nails, making them grow long and nasty.

I really enjoyed this flick. It meanders a bit, but it's loads of fun, and the action during the second half kicks some serious ass. I liked the bone-sword, it was pretty cinematic and made the fight memorable. One thing I like about French films is that they're completely unrestrained.

Eurytus
January 15th, 2004, 01:52 AM
One more thing I will say about the film is that there are few cinematic deaths that I have been sorrier to see happen than Manny's (the Native American's) death. And few villains have I wanted to see die more than that gypsy woman who contributed to her death. The fact that it was lovely Monica that killed her made it all the better!

kahnovitch
January 15th, 2004, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Eurytus
One more thing I will say about the film is that there are few cinematic deaths that I have been sorrier to see happen than Manny's (the Native American's) death.

Yeah that was pretty crap considering his "brother" the french dude, was a fairly leathal warrior himself and he just ran off and left the poor bugger to die.
I can't remember the exact reason for this as I saw it ages ago, but I remember thinking "Why the heck didn't he pitch in and save him?"

Eurytus
January 15th, 2004, 05:06 AM
If I remember correctly he was tending the wounds of the Marquis after the beast had escaped. Although I thought that the wounds were not that bad and he should have damn well backed up his brother first.
Given that both of them could kick arse pretty well they could have probably ended the movie at the half way point had they both gone.

I did love the bit where the Chevalier goes to the gypsy camp for vengeance though. Particularly the bit where he rams that poor sod’s head partway through the wall and then steps back and kicks the rest of him totally through the wall.

Calis
January 15th, 2004, 05:24 AM
i wanted to see that movie, but i dont wanna read the subtitles

Eurytus
January 15th, 2004, 05:29 AM
The DVD version does have an English dub but it is superior in the French. You miss out on a lot if you are not willing to try subtitles.
This film, Amelie, The Seven Samurai......
Give it a go.