View Full Version : Real Time Strategy Greats

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Zsinj
January 16th, 2004, 08:03 PM
I was wondering, what are the best of the best real time strategy video/computer games out there?

milamber_reborn
January 16th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Railroad Tycoon 3 is supposed to be good.

Rome: Total War is the most anticipated.

Bear
January 16th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne reigns as my favorite of all time. Other classics are Starcraft, Command and Conquer Red Alert, and the one that got me going--Warcraft 2.

There are lots more, but the Blizzard line remains top for me.

Shehzad
January 17th, 2004, 12:08 AM
The first one I ever played was Dune 2 and I was hooked. This was soon followed by Warcraft: Orcs and Humans (can't forget the Warcraft Archer Trap!) and Command & Conquer...

But my favourites over the ages have been Starcraft, Total Annihilation and Warcraft 2 & 3

Zsinj
January 17th, 2004, 11:03 AM
I own StarCraft and it rocks! It is pretty hard, though. I'm still trying to beat the level at the very beginning where you meet up with that telelpathic chick and you have to invade that island that has legions of confederates on it.

Btw, I was wondering, do you have to have a newer, super-powerful computer to run The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Ring, or will it work on a computer like mine that can run games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Half-Life, Baldur's Gate, Diablo II, and StarCraft? I'm wondering this becaus LOTR: WOTR looks like a really great game, but, by the system requirements on the side of it, I'm not sure if it would work on my computer or not.

Frostmourne
January 17th, 2004, 01:23 PM
It should work fine, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you have an income like me, which is pretty small (parents are cheap) you don't want to spend your money on anything but the best. And War of the Ring does not fall in the "best" catigory.

Anyways, the Warcraft series is by far, the best RTS their is. AMAZING story, great gameplay, and ENDLESS, I mean ENDLESS replay value (Bnet custom games)

Bear
January 17th, 2004, 01:33 PM
and ENDLESS, I mean ENDLESS replay value (Bnet custom games)

Damn straight. The multiplayer is where it's at in these games.

Though, I did finally play through the single player of WC3. I really enjoyed it.

Frostmourne
January 18th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Wait till the TFT campaign, HUGE change, many things will baffle you.

SPOLIERS!!!!

Bear, didn't it totally shock you to see Arthas, champion of the light and Prince of Lordearon go completly evil?

Stewart
January 18th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Is my favorite when it comes to RTS. Only problem is that while Homeworld and Cataclysm are both great games that should work on just about any system any of us use today Homeworld 2 requires some pretty heavy duty stuff.

kahnovitch
January 19th, 2004, 05:20 AM
I love RTS. My fave type of game if you've got loads of time to kill (which I sadly don't these days)

Favourite at the moment Medieval TW.
As Mil said Rome TW will sell like hot-cakes when it hits the shops, especially in the UK as we've had a TV series running called Time Commanders where the game engine for Rome TW has been used to pit teams of 4 against "The computer with the mind of a General" as the TV blurb said.

Homeworld and Project Earth are great for space RTS and I also quite liked the Star Trek Armada series, although I'm not a big Trekkie.

I've been looking into more "Real" RTS games recently, e.g. those that have actual combat machine and weaponry of today.
It seems that games dealing with modern warfare (tanks, planes etc) outside of a SF setting, aren't that popular.