View Full Version : Best RPG?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Daedalusman
January 20th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Ok, I need a new game. Doesn't have to be a brand new game that just came out just one that i haven't played before. I really like RPGs so what do you people think are the best RPGs out there.

Loras Tyrell
January 22nd, 2004, 07:08 AM
OK, if you want us to recommend you games you haven't tried, it might be an idea to list the games you have played. You know, makin' it easier on us.

I haven't really played a lot of RPG's, but my definite favourite is The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall.

It's from way back in '97 or something, so the graphics are a bit dated, and there are a fair amount of bugs, but if you can get past that, it's simply awesome. At least as far as open-ended go. You can go literally anywhere, and do almost anything.

There is a main plot, but after doing one or a couple of missions of it, it will wait, so you can basically ignore it or pursue it to your hearts delight. And there is definitely enough to do aside from the main quests. There are a number of temples and guilds to join, which will provide you with quests of different kinds, which again provide you with loot, rewards and eventually promotion within the guild/temple in question.

The game takes place in the Iliac Bay, and you can visist every country, every city and walk every square meter of the terrain. If you want to, you can walk the actual distance between cities and other places. This can take up to many hours, and luckily, there is a "speed travel" function, so you don't have to do this. All this at the cost of uniquesness and diversity, of course, but it never bothered me. There is plenty of variation in building style, skin color and other things.

You can buy property, for instance horse and cart, houses, boats etc.

You can steal and shoplift, you can slay lots of innocents and join the Dark Brotherhood, you can contract lycanthropy and live your life as a werewolf.

It is an immense game, it draws you in and won't let go.

I'm also under the impression that there are a nice array of RPG's scheduled for release in 2004.

Greetings
Artaxiad

Calis
January 22nd, 2004, 07:20 AM
Final Fantasies are fantastic

Iskaral Pust
January 22nd, 2004, 12:08 PM
Are you looking for PC games or for consoles?

Shehzad
January 22nd, 2004, 03:19 PM
Give Planescape: Torment a try. You might be able to pick up a cheap copy off eBay like I did....

see "What're you Playing" for my further comments on the game.

Frostmourne
January 22nd, 2004, 08:06 PM
Skies Of Arcadia was fantastic.

Golden Sun is great too.

Stewart
January 22nd, 2004, 09:48 PM
Try out Xenosaga. It's freaking amazing.

snake0024
February 22nd, 2004, 03:16 AM
Most Final Fantasy game are great, though I prefer FF8, and Skies of Arcadia, Golden Sun, and Gladius are all also great games

Frostmourne
February 24th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Gladius got boring SO fast. I played for one or two weeks, then got too bored to go on.

Skies of Arcadia is still the best RPG, The first Golden Sun was awesome too, however the second one was terrible.

I see no "Knights Of The Old Repuplic" here, so I will add that.

Shehzad
February 24th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Seconding "Knights of the Old Republic"-- will add the Baldur's Gate series to the list.