PDA

View Full Version : yay

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Forrest
January 21st, 2004, 03:53 AM
This could be construed as a stupid post, but I'm going to go ahead and make it, since historically, stupidity has never been an effective deterrant to my actions or words.:)

I'm so excited! About a year ago, I started work on my first novel, a science fiction romance about a boy from earth who gets wrapped up in a galactic conflict and gets to travel the stars and save the universe and end up with the girl. I wrote about 50 pages or so, then realized how CRAPPY it was. But I had fun. And I learned a lot. There were too many plot problems, dialog problems, characterization problems; it was just a big fatty mess.

However, I have recently fleshed out a revised version with some stronger characters that I have had in my head for long enough that I feel like I know them. It doesn't feel forced, and the story is so fun.

Let's put it this way, I am having fun with this story to the extent that if it never even gets read by anyone else at all, I will still re-read it because it entertains me. It is romantic, adventurous... ah I just love it.

Well there's my stupid gush post. Perhaps in an effort to give this thread some relavence, you can all take a moment to gush about a story you are working on, or perhaps just a story you've read recently that made your flame ignite.:)

Ilnaulro
January 21st, 2004, 02:20 PM
:D I think you hit the nail on the head Forrest! By far the most important thing, for me, is that I have fun writing my books! Otherwise...what's the flippin' point? Really! :p

PS Congrats!

Morgana the Fey
January 21st, 2004, 03:01 PM
Forrest, that post had a total atmosphere of jubilation about it that made me smile.:) I'm sure your book is great and when you get published, you can host a great big cyber party for us all.
I write a bit but I admire you in that you can stick at the project in hand and write your own book. Even if it's not published - keep at it and well done!

Iskaral Pust
January 21st, 2004, 03:17 PM
Indeed, well done, and I'm glad you had fun. I used to write for nothing else but fun, re-writing chapters from book the way I thought they should have been or just writing random scenes. I've recently started work on an actual structured novel and it's quite substantially harder than anything I've done before, so congrats.

Ilnaulro
January 22nd, 2004, 02:18 PM
Strange,Iskaral, I don't recall reading any of your work anywhere? ;)

Jack Burton
January 23rd, 2004, 02:58 PM
You have to be happy in your work!!! It makes the process soo much more bearable!