View Full Version : Rule of the intelligent

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

saintjon
March 7th, 2002, 06:11 AM
I think it's a growing problem in our society that just as some people seem to be sliding to far into stupidity so too are a lot of people becoming IMO too hung up on intelligence.

I read the Tao of Pooh a while ago and it really spoke to me. I mean, how far can you let your mind run this course of a fact-dominated universe before you become (sorry to say it bluntly) a ridiculous fool?

I guess this became all too apparent to me one day last year when I was talking to some friends about Ren and Stimpy. One of them actually said that they didn't like simply because there was no political message to it. What the hell is wrong with you when you expect a political message from a show like Ren and Stimpy? I mean, I found myself thinking, how much fun is this guy going to miss out on in his life simply because his search for intelligent content prevents him from appreciating so much? I'm an intelligent person, but I think Ren and Stimpy is a blast.

My point is, I think a huge chunk of our society is drifting, in their search for intelligent content, into the waters of pretentiousness.

As Lao-tzu said, "Wise men are not learned. Learned men are not wise."
What do you guys think?

Alucard
March 7th, 2002, 07:42 AM
At times, yea, I can see that. I've known a lot of people who won't give something a chance simply because it's popular, or, as you said it, it's not very mentally stimulating. It happens a lot in literature. Books that are simply entertaining are often written off as fluff, even if they're exceptionally well done. Or, in the case of something like Harry Potter, people will call it crap without even reading it simply because of it's current place in the spotlight, or because it's a "stupid Kid's book". But I agree with you here. What's wrong about enjoying something strictly for entertainment value?

I, for one, like both. Sometimes I like to develop my mind and understanding, sometimes I like to just sit back and enjoy. And I can readily appreciate both "styles". Both have their place. I would get sick of either if that was all I encountered. Because, as many have said before, Variety is the spice of life.

Cygnus
March 7th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Saintjon- you couldn't have voiced my own opinion on this subject better! I feel strongly that there is more to people and life than just the accumulation of facts and the other typical forms of intelligence. I used to be one of those who looked down on those who weren't perfect spellers or didn't know their world history or whatever. Now I know that is a very narrow, and unfair view of someone.

I have people look down on me because my math skills are absoulutely awful.. I can't even add or subtract in my head! It's embarrasing, but that's just the way I am. I have other redeeming qualities (I hope!!) and just because I can't do math doesn't mean I'm a stupid person. Every time someone asks me a question that might be considered ignorant or lacking in common sense, I try to keep in mind how I feel when I am looked down on. Keeps things in perspective.

I had the WORST professor a while ago that must have been the most pretentious man I've ever met. He was always dropping these inane facts into his lectures to show people how much he knew. He'd say our next test was going to be on the Ides of March or that he preferred temperatures in the 25 to 30 degree celsius range (I'm in the non-metric U.S). Life is too short to make all your sentences riddles!!

I love to play games like scrabble and trivial pursuit, and I'm a crossword junkie, but these are just hobbies, not badges of honor or anything. I often play with people who take triva way too seriously!

Ogg
March 7th, 2002, 10:15 PM
Hum.....

Hum.....

Hum.....

I fail to see the intelligence in any of these statements.

http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/wink.gif http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Bond
March 8th, 2002, 02:54 AM
Far too often people who use such displays of "intelligence" do so only for show. Ren and Stimpy doesn't have a political message? I don't have access to Ren and Stimpy and even if I did I probably wouldn't watch it--not my idea of fun--but to criticize it for not having a political message has to be one of the more "out there" kind of criticisms I think one could level.

What really gets my goat though is when people strut about like that and then display their own mammoth ignorance when they praise mindlessly one of those pretentious topical things, which going by your own probably more informed analysis is rather flimsy.

I don't mind people dumbing down or making mistakes here and there as long as they don't make a habit of it. I make more than enough mistakes myself. What's awful is when those people who are afraid to take a chance and never do come down hard on someone who is willing to take that chance.

Rupert Avery
March 9th, 2002, 11:19 AM
I have disagree with you guys here just a little bit.Why?
Well there is a TV show called Jerry Springer.
And I feel that you would have to be brain dead to watch this show.
Yet the show has millions of fans.

The people that come out on stage to share there "TRUE" stories must have a real problem with there self image if they have get onto TV and speak garbage to make themsevles feel good.

At the very least I can not see how anyone could watch a tv show that because of all the bad language being bleeped out your lucky to hear 5 full sentances per show.

It is the millions of fan around the world that tune into this show each day that makes me think that society as a whole is gowing backwards in its intelligence.

Zsinj16
March 9th, 2002, 03:37 PM
I agree with Rupert. The Jerry Springer Show is indeed stupid and pointless! Why anyone would want to watch such a depressing, pointless piece of crap such as this is simply beyond me!! The people on that show such hatred towards each other and act like they want to tear each other's throats out like a bunch of numbskulled, arguing trolls!! How deprssing!
Yep, Rupert is probably right, because of this, society probably is devolving a bit. Heck, one day we'll probably look out our windows and see a bunch of people wearing loincloths and shouting things like "UNGA BUNGA!!" and "OOGA BOOGA!!" http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Ogg
March 9th, 2002, 07:11 PM
A TV show called Jerry Springer...you would have to be brain dead to watch this show.

Jerry Springer, Ahhh, now that is intelligent stuff there. Besides I find all my best dates off of that show. They are never short on crisp and intelligent conversation... http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/wink.gif

Nathan Carter
March 9th, 2002, 07:48 PM
When I first saw Ren and Stimpy... I thought "This is a genious that is far beyond anything I will ever be" and then I cried.

Cygnus
March 10th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Maybe intelligence is taking the same track as wealth. The gap between the haves and have-nots is widening. There are the super-smart MENSA members and those who are eligble for the Jerry Springer Show. Personally I'd rather not be associated with either group!

I agree that there is an amazing number of ignorant and stupid people out there, but my point was that you should try to find other qualities about them before you write them off as a waste of genetic material.