PDA

View Full Version : Which LOTR film is best?!?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Evil Agent
January 26th, 2004, 08:34 PM
What a hard question.

But seriously, which one IS the best film? It's probably the hardest question I've ever had to answer...alas, I always feel that film1 is the most classic....but lately I'm realizing how much I actually loved film 3...but where does that leave film 2? I don't mean to imply that it's the "worst"....

Anyway, I think in the end I'll go with.......film 3. AGHRGHGHG that really hurt.... But at least I decided (UN-like Treebeard).

My reasoning for choosing film 3 is simply that it's the culmination of all the story threads and character arcs. We see some of the best acting in film 3. And we have the best of both worlds (the intimate story from film 1, including the Shire, and the amazing jaw-dropping battle scenes from film 2).

The only disadvantages film 3 has compared to film 1 are: Barely any Bilbo/Ian Holm, and no Gandalf the Grey!

What do you all say?

Calis
January 26th, 2004, 08:43 PM
They r all good.

i cant choose between them

Kanin
January 26th, 2004, 09:55 PM
For me, it would be Fellowship. It was very magical to me. It had a great opening, a great middle, and a great end.

The beginning with Cate Blanchett with the voice over is amazing. The Mines of Moria scene is something I can watch over and over, and the death of Boromir is one of the best in cinema history.IMO

TTT is a great action film. I absolutely love the Rohan, and they are my favorite thing about the films. However, I thought that Treebeard was just out of place with the action scenes going on. Although the Ents did pay off in the end, I just felt it detracted from the movie.

ROTK was too forced for me. They were trying too hard to make us feel emotion. While there are great scenes, Theoden in particular, I just thought it wasn't as magical as the first.

Ickle Lulu
January 27th, 2004, 05:33 AM
I voted "The Two Towers".
it's the introduction to the country of Rohan - and the first glimpse of Eowyn. - plus that amazing scene where Gandalf releases Theoden from Saruman's spell!
I think the battle of the Hornburg was amazingly done, especially where Aragorn and Theoden ride out with the remainder of their army to meet the orcs head on.....and Gimli blows the horn of Helm Hammerhand.......that send shivers down my spine everytime i see it...

here's an extract from the script:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Théoden: (He is very discouraged)

"So much death. What can men do against such reckless hate?"

Aragorn: (He pauses before answering - he has a sudden inspiration)

"Ride out with me. Ride out and meet them."

Théoden: (A new light of determination is kindled in his eyes)

"For death and glory."

Aragorn: "For Rohan. For your people."

Gimli: "The sun is rising."

(Aragorn looks up at a window to see faint light streaming through. He recalls Gandalf's words...)

Gandalf: (In a voiceover)

"Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day.
At dawn, look to the east."

Théoden: "Yes. Yes! The horn of Helm Hammerhand shall sound in the Deep one last time!"

Gimli: "Yes!"

(Gimli runs up the steps to the mouthpiece of the huge horn of Helm Hammerhand, which stretches down and along the Wall in two huge sweeps)

Théoden: "Let this be the hour when we draw swords together. Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath! Now for ruin! And a red dawn!"

(He mounts his horse and puts on his helmet. The sound of the horn rumbles and echos through Helm's Deep as Gimli blows with gusto)

Théoden: "FORTH EORLINGAS!!"

(Théoden leads the charge out the Keep and into the Hornburg, slashing away at the Uruk-hai as he goes. Without a pause, the company storm out of the gate and down the Causeway, right into the column of Uruk-hai who are still streaming up to enter the main part of the fortress.)

(In the midst of the battle, Aragorn looks east and sees the figure of a White Rider on a rearing white horse, shining in the brilliant rays of the rising sun)

Aragorn: "Gandalf!"

Gandalf: "Théoden King stands alone."

Éomer: (He rides out to emerge next to Gandalf and Shadowfax)

"Not alone."

(He raises his hand)

"Rohirrim!!"

(The Riders of Rohan move up behind him)

Théoden: (He notices the direction of Aragorn's glance and he looks that way also)

"Éomer!"

Éomer: "To the King!"

(The Rohirrim and the White Rider charge down the slope. Half the Uruk-hai army turns to face this new challenge, bringing their spears down to point towards the Riders. As the Riders draw closer, the sun rises over the crest of the hill behind them, momentarily blinding the Uruk-hai, who raise the hands (and their spears) to shield their eyes. The Riders crash into them and through them, engaging them in battle)

(The scene switches briefly to Isengard, where the Ents are destroying everything in their path)

(We then return to Helm’s Deep and scenes of the Riders, both those under Théoden, who have issued from within the Keep, and those accompanying Gandalf and Éomer, who have just thundered down into the Coomb from above. Together, they are decimating the Uruk-hai)

Théoden: "Victory! We have victory!"

(He raises his sword with a joyous cry)

(Afterwards, the women and children have emerged from the caverns and are welcoming the men and boys as they return to the fortress after the battle. The mounted warriors come back also - Éowyn runs up to Aragorn and embraces him, crying tears of relief)

(At an even later time, we see Gandalf, Théoden and the rest of the mounted company (including Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Éomer and Gamling) ride to the top of a hill in Rohan, with Helm's Deep behind them and looking eastward, towards Mordor in the distance - although in reality, one could not see the Mountain of Fire from the western part of that land)

Gandalf: "Sauron’s wrath will be terrible, his retribution swift. The battle for Helm’s Deep is over. The battle for Middle-earth is about to begin. All our hopes now lie with two little Hobbits, somewhere in the wilderness."

Eurytus
January 27th, 2004, 05:39 AM
The FOTR all the way for me. I preferred Gandalf the Grey to his White incarnation. Far more warmth, his speech to Frodo in Moria, priceless. The little change of expression in the Council of Elrond when Frodo says he will take the Ring or when Frodo notices the fiery writing appearing on the Ring. All excellent.
FOTR had Sean Bean’s Boromir, perhaps the only character who was actually far better than the book version.
It had a great action set piece in Moria and a fantastic ending with the Uruk attack. When Aragorn tells Frodo to go, walks out to meet them, and the camera pans up to reveal a veritable horde of Uruk Hai. Spine tingling.
FOTR was also the film least hurt by what was left out for the EE DVD.

TTT was my least favourite, certainly so in the cinematic version. Too many rapid edits in the first half of the film and no where near as much warmth as in FOTR, although I am aware that this is a consequence of the content of that book. But I did like the added segments showing the children fleeing the Rohirrim village and the old men and children getting kitted up for battle in the caves below Helms Deep. Really gave a feeling of the horror of war. The fantastic musical moment when Theoden awakens and draws his sword.

ROTK was the most spectacular. Great, mind blowing battle sequence. Shelob was great. The lighting of the Beacons, really spectacular. But as a whole the film was hurt too much by what was left out. You can really see that a lot had to be kept back for the EE DVD.
I will need to watch ROTK a few more times to really get a feel for it.

One thing is for sure though. Nothing will beat FOTR simply because nothing to do with Tolkien will ever give me as much of an emotional high than the first half hour of FOTR the first time I watched it on opening night. After all the waiting. The fears that no-one could do it justice.
Then the New Line logo, spooky music, NO OPENING CREDITS and then the Prologue. That was good enough but then the moment when Gandalf’s cart goes through the cutting, the camera and music rise, and you see Bag End……
That was it for me.

Leiali
January 27th, 2004, 08:38 AM
I voted the Two Towers. It launches you straight into the urgency of the adventure, and is packed with some amazing action. I enjoyed the traditional 'tracking' lost companions and the whole experience of Rohan (anything with Aragorn in it really); but anyway the battle at Helms deep was enough for me to vote it the best of the three.

Beetle
January 27th, 2004, 01:04 PM
All three movies were spectacular, but it is hard to replace or repeat that feeling you got when the Fellowship started and you were actually seeing Middle-earth for the first time.

For sheer excitement though, the battle scenes at Helm's Deep and Minis Tirith were great. At one point during the fighting at Minis Tirith, they broke away to Frodo and Sam, and I remember thinking..."now I can catch my breath for a moment!" Of course, after 30 seconds of that I was ready for more!!!

Davis Ashura
January 27th, 2004, 03:58 PM
All three movies were spectacular, but it is hard to replace or repeat that feeling you got when the Fellowship started and you were actually seeing Middle-earth for the first time.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

Dallandra
January 28th, 2004, 03:29 AM
Can't decide! I love all of them!

Frostmourne
January 28th, 2004, 11:59 AM
I can't possibly decided, all were great, although, TTT now bores me, since I've watched it countless times.