PDA

View Full Version : Why have cartoons devolved so badly?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Zsinj16
April 18th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Y'know, when I was a wee lad, I couldn't wait to get up every Saturday morning and watch cartoons. Now, being 19 years old, my heart goes out to all the poor kids who have to endure the mindless drivel that is now being accepted as entertaining cartoons, because whenever I turn on the tv now, all I see is Poke'mon and it's mindless ripoffs, the utterly torturous Power Rangers, and some other terrible excuses for cartoons, such as the Jackie Chan Adventures, and The Mummy Animated Series (which doesn't follow the plot of the movies at all!!)
I hate to admit it, but even some of Cartoon Network and Toonami's programming seems to be falling down the pipes.
This makes me so mad I want to scream!!
What ever happened to animated series that are like the ones I grew up with, such as GIJOE, Thundercats, WILDC.A.T.S., The Skeleton Warriors, Batman:the Animated Series, Dungeons & Dragons, The EXO Squad, X-Men, Spiderman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Project G.E.E.K.R., James Bond JR., Cyber Cops, and even some of the more recent ones such as Batman Beyond, Superman, Men in Black, Escaflowne, Outlaw Star, Gundam Wing, Mobile Suit Gundam, Robotech, The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest, and Voltron?

So I ask you, why have cartoons devolved so badly?

saintjon
April 19th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Well, the problem with the funny ones is that all the big company's just try to recreate their old hits instead of doing something original. Take Warner for instance. Every new character they come out with now has to have the smarmy Bugs-wannabe with attitude thing going.

Into the void left by Warner steps Disney, with its endless stream of stupid cartoons about lame kids no-one cares about (read Doug, Pepper Anne, blah blah blah).

You're right. I do feel sorry for these kids. Hell, you can't even try to watch Batman now without a chance of getting Superman instead (tell me that doesn't suck).

Then with the adventure cartoons, the problem is that they're all spinoffs of some crappy movie or other.

TV exec: "What's that? Another Jerry Bruckheimer crap-flick made a fat wad of cash? I want a cartoon for this thing, pronto!!"

Nathan Carter
April 19th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Voltron and Robotech are recent cartoons?

It never got better than Heckle and Jeckle or Tom and Jerry...

Scooby Doo got me hooked on rock music when I was two years old... remember how they would always play the campy regurgitated 60's Beatles tune, while Scooby and Shaggy ran from the ghost or warewolf, or whatever... it was a staple in every episode.

Penumbra
April 19th, 2002, 06:58 AM
The dearth of imagination you refer to is inherent in the whole of all fiction genres. The primary reason is the fault of publishers and film producers who are afraid of change and do not have what it takes to recognize new talent. Read my article, "Genre Difficulties," and you'll see what I mean from the SF point of view, though it extends to fantasy, comics, cartoons and what have you. It all boils down to how mid and sub-level thinkers can conceive a profit. Clearly, a bland marble cannot picture a Rodin sculpture in its limited, vacuous mind.

Zsinj16
April 19th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Sorry if I confused you there, Nathan. What I meant to say was not that Robotech and Voltron are recent cartoons, but that they have been on Toonami recently. Well, not that recently, actually it's been about four years since they've been on Toonami, but I still count that as somewhat recently.
Robotech rocks!! I think Toonami should bring it back again. Besides Gundam Wing and Mobile Suit Gundam, Robotech has got to be the best anime space opera I've ever seen!!

Saintjon: I hear ya on the lame Disney cartoons!! It really ticks me off that they've turned abc's saturday morning programming into disney cartoon programming!!
What's more, do you know they've turned the Fox Family channel practically into a freakin' teen pop channel?!!! I guess that doesn't suprise me much, since Fox Family Channel has always been pretty stupid. And now fox family has turned into abc family, of which abc is practically a symbiote with disney, so that probably has something to do with the lameness of the channel.

Oh and one more thing, have any of you seen the lame animated series they have on Toonami now called Zoids?!! Man, I can't explain to you how mind-bogglingly stupid that cartoon is!!
And what ever happened to the glory days of Toonami, when it was on the air for about four solid hours?!! Seriously, I think some people should get together and write a petition to Toonami, telling them how much their programming is going down the pipes.
I remember the days when Toonami said it was building the world a "better cartoon show", heh, not so anymore folks, at least not for now!

Loque
April 19th, 2002, 08:24 AM
does anyone remember jason and the wheel warriors? or starcom? and i didnt seem to see anyone mention he-man either.

enazwo
April 19th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Indeed I have watched the gradual decay of our saturday morning cartoons. As a matter of fact I just read an article that the, ritual, tradition, ceremony, pomp and pagentry of kids getting up early on saturday to watch saturday morning cartoons and chomp on awesome crunchy sugar infested cereals, like Quisp and Quake, Post Crispy Critters, Fruit Loops, is going to become a thing of the past. With so many other viewing options on satellite and cable, kids and their parents are rescheduling the saturday morning tradition.

But I'm of the prehistoric brand of kid that watch "The Herculoids" with Gloop and Gleep, the Rock Ape and the space rhino that shot those engery rocks out of it's horn. Then there was "The Fantastic Four", "Spider Man" (I fear for the movie) Jonny Quest. Yeah my day was before political correctness and the establishment blaming cartoons (blaming cartoons?) for the violence in our society.

Though my favorite cartoons are now fozzilized, I still get up on saturday to have a bowl of Captain Crunch drenched in Budweiser. Alas to still be a kid.

fluffy bunny
April 19th, 2002, 08:00 PM
Face it- most of the stuff we watched as children is cringe-worthy when watched today through adult eyes- that same facination u had with the cartoons of yesteryears is probably still gripping the youth of today- and anyway when u were younger, ur parents never understood most of what u were watching anyway.

BTW- go to http://www.yesterdayland.com for cartoons (Is a great website)

Bond
April 21st, 2002, 08:22 AM
I agree that American Saturday morning cartoons have been going down the drain recently. Last year I went on vacation to L.A. and got up early to see what my nephews were watching on T.V. and was appalled by Pokemon and the overly animated but plotless drivel that greeted me. No I do not think it's because I'm watching with adult eyes. I am familiar with Disney's Aladdin series which I thought was wonderful and superior to even the movie and that was not too long ago. Batman Beyond from the three epsiodes I caught is fantastic too. But the Saturday morning fare was horrid! Superficial to the max! How can anyone possibly compare Pokemon to the Muppet Babies, Gummy Bears, Garfield, or Smurfs? Even the animated WWF wrestlers of yesteryear had far more class. No wonder ABC was switching to Nascar racing even before 11:00.

kassimir funk
April 21st, 2002, 10:30 AM
I think that part of the problem is that we're getting older. Even the cartoons we liked are kinda hard to watch nowadays. That having been said... today's cartoons do suck.
I sort of agree with Penumbra on the whole producers stifling creativity thing. They look for products that fit a certain formula.
Saturday mornings will never be the same again. They should do an A&E special on Saturaday morning cartoons of the early eighties.
I remember Jason and the wheel warriors. Do you remember Jabber Jaws, or galaxy high? Or perhaps the greatest saturday morning cartoon of all time...... Captaaaaain caaaaaave maaaaaaaaaan!!!!!!!!

K-Funk the disgruntled autobot