View Full Version : prolific writers

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

tingmakpuk
February 1st, 2004, 02:34 PM
Okay, I keep reading about how some of you have multiple novels finished. I'm lucky if I have the time or energy after working full time and spending time with my family to write the occasional story.

Question: Are you able to manage this kind of prolific writing under the same conditions, or do you have jobs that allow you more time for writing?

milamber_reborn
February 1st, 2004, 10:09 PM
I've completed 29 short stories and 1 novellete in the last year and a half. I've also edited word-by-word about 70 short stories or chapters by other amateur writers in that time.

I'm 21, no longer study anything but writing and editing, and I have no job, and therefore ample free time. I really should be writing twice as much as I am currently, but I can't control my inspiration and creativity.

tingmakpuk
February 1st, 2004, 10:41 PM
Are you making sales, or are you surviving on student loans?

speculative-one
February 1st, 2004, 10:50 PM
I work full-time and go to grad school part-time. When my free time comes, it is usually random and in chunks, so it's hard to get anything done.

-speculative

Lucky Joe
February 2nd, 2004, 01:48 AM
My published novel took me about a year to write and I had a full time job for most of the time.

I read somewhere recently that having a job and a life full of other commitments actually forces you to utilise what little time you have and that many people actually end up producing better/more work under this kind of pressure. Not sure if I agree though. I'd love to work part time and write the rest of the time, but I also want to travel again and that doesn't come cheap so what do you do?

I guess I'll keep squeezing in an hour or two a night of writing and when I get back I'll work part-time. Oh, hang on that's what I said last time! hmm a cycle?

mistri
February 2nd, 2004, 05:38 AM
I work fulltime and often take work home in the evenings (evil job!). Consequently I find it very hard to get anything done. I managed 50,000 words during Nano, but have written very little since. What's helped has been joining a livejournal community called musemuggers (I have my own livejournal at www.livejournal.com/users/mistri) which gives us story prompts every monday, and then a week in which to complete it. I only started four weeks ago and now have four short stories to my name. I'd rather be working on my novel, but I don't seem to have the energy for that by the time I get back from work. Sigh.

milamber_reborn
February 2nd, 2004, 09:03 PM
Living at home on a shoestring budget. Got a PC, internet access and TV. All I need.

Still working hard to get my break.

JRMurdock
February 3rd, 2004, 08:35 PM
I also work full time, have a family (and a little one at home). There's time where I'll skip a few hours of sleep to spend time writing. I used to put it off and say "I'll get to it later" but later never got here. So I finally sat down and told myself what I wanted to do and did it. I'm not attempting to write one or two short stories a week to build my skill. If I get a story done that I'm particularly proud of, I'll submit it. It's not easy, but that's the life of a writer.

Hey Lucky Joe, what's your book and where can I find it?

Jacquin
February 4th, 2004, 01:52 AM
About six months ago I left my full time job to set up my own business selling pewterware. I do agency work to make sure I have enough money for rent and I write as much as I can. It's not the time issue that stops me anymore, it is simply the motivation. I currently have a couple of shorts out there waiting for their next rejections. I've never managed to finish a novel. The one I was workign on just died. I think I left it too long. Maybe I'll come back to it one day...

J

Holbrook
February 4th, 2004, 02:37 AM
When I started writing or rather went back to it after a break of goodness how many years I wasn't working.

This allowed me to not only write but amass a huge amount of research.

I truly believe if you write you must write from a firm base of knowledge on the subject. Whether this is from personal experience or reading, you need to know. Imagination will take you so far, but to convince a reader you need to be aware of your subject matter. It might not show in the details of your story, but it is there in the tone, choice of words and feel.

So much work by want to be and published writers is "slot tap 'a' in to hole 'b' " My beautiful, spirited main female character, my handsome, strong male character. My witty/dumb/loyal side kick etc, etc....

To produce something different takes time and hard work.

To not belt the stuff out, like so much I have read lately else where is a variation on a theme, which after a time puts you to sleep with boredom. It is often the "safe" I know people will like this route, but does it stretch you as a writer, as a person? Neither I think.

Ok back to the topic; the research still stands me in good stead I have it at my finger tips so to speak. This allows me now I am working to tap into it. That does not mean I don't do research, I do a "lot" but I have a base to work from. This allows the hours I do get writing to be productive.

Also, for me writing is not easy, it is hard, lonely and often gut wrenchingly painful. I can't produce to "order". I canít and wonít produce on the command of another. Yes, I write with HE and others, but HE always has challenged me, often questioning my work far more than praising it, pushing me in ways I never thought I would go, widening my scope and use of language.

I have of late come to realise there is something a lot worse than a critique that kicks your teeth in and pulls every word and idea you have written, apart. It is the continuous praise, the group hug, you are wonderful, and everything you write is wonderful. Because after a while it becomes so empty. Because you in your heart know not everything you write is wonderful. It had flaws, mistakes and often contains heaps of rubbish. If a fellow writer canít see this, or is afraid to tell you, or more afraid that you might say something bad about their work, thenÖ *sigh* What does it say about you, or them?

What basis or point is there on sharing work, the whole back bone, to me at least on putting my work out is to get people to look at it and see both the good and the bad and let me know. If a person canít or wonít it places a strain on the relationship to the point it will breakÖ.