View Full Version : Classic Doctor Who

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

milamber_reborn
February 4th, 2004, 11:49 PM
And so 1 becomes 2.

The BBC are so damn frustrating! How could they have just tossed all the old reels into the trash in the 80s or whenever they did it? They could have made money auctioning them off!

And the ABC here in Australia (it's probably the BBC or whoever packaged the broadcast) didn't even show The Tenth Planet - the first Cyberman story before they went all crappy metallic and of course the first regeneration! So what if an episode or two are missing? I want to see whatever is available.

I must say William Hartnell is my fav doctor now and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the stories (minus 10 of them due to missing episodes).

Pity the first 6 Patrick Troughton can't be shown, so we don't get the full picture of Doc 2. I wish I had been born in the 50s not the 80s.

Erebus
February 5th, 2004, 02:17 AM
I remember watching the first regen episode as a child - when Hartnell became Troughton - and it seems a pity that those classic episodes may now be lost for ever. (sniff) It was something truly mind-boggling at the age I was then and I must say I was hoping to see that episode again with the ABC re-runs. Oh well...there's always the second regeneration...and the third...and...

Oh, and I'm not ashamed to say that I was born in the fifties...just! :)

Forrest
February 5th, 2004, 03:51 AM
hee hee. When I was a little kid, we didn't have any money, so if I wanted to be entertained, it came at the good graces of my library card. I remember I checked out a movie one time called "Dr. Who".

Oh wait, maybe it was "Dr. No". Anyway, I love James Bond now.

wow. I feel lame.:)

milamber_reborn
February 5th, 2004, 11:06 PM
I think there's twice as many Patrick Troughton episodes missing as there are William Hartnell ones. I can't believe we're already through a few years worth.

From Jon Pertwee onwards, I've seen quite a few stories, so it's good seeing ones I know little about or have only read.

I wish they had written some historical scripts for the last 6 doctors.

http://www.tvtome.com/DoctorWho/

milamber_reborn
March 17th, 2004, 10:46 PM
The BBC are killing me. I'm pretty sure all 10 episodes of The War Games exist, yet again we miss the critical regeneration story, not to mention the first mention of Time Lords.

On another note, it's totally weird seeing it in colour again. I'm only 21 and don't much like black & white, but I love watching Dr Who in black & white.

Khallandra
March 22nd, 2004, 05:47 AM
My dad sits down every day at 6 for Doctor Who and I was suprised today when I saw it was in colour! The theme music is so legendary though I can't watch the show cause I laugh too much - good classic Sci Fi though :p

fluffy bunny
March 22nd, 2004, 07:48 PM
I'm not sure if the international community are getting their regular 'fix' of Doctor Who, but considering a number of Dr Who adventures were broadcast ny the BBC on the radio (well there's nothing like the special effects studio of your mind), it's refreshing to see a number of adventures still being made on a monthly basis:

http://www.bigfinish.com/drwho/index.shtml

As for which ones are the best:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Study/6414/BFP-DW.html compiles a general consensus.

milamber_reborn
March 23rd, 2004, 11:21 PM
The problem is capturing the US market.