PDA

View Full Version : The Authority

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Keyoke
February 5th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Anyone reading the lastest incarnation of this series?

I had collect the Authority back in the day, and stopped when a new writing team came aboard.

Though, I just recently read Coup de Tat, and was curious as how the title is currently.

Any thoughts? I miss the characters. :)

Keyoke

Ouroboros
February 5th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Well, Warren Ellis got the ball rolling with Stormwatch and then The Authority proper.

Millar arguably took the basic premise to its logical conclusion with his era.... Truly we felt we were blessed.

Flash forward to today, and let's face it : recent story arcs (and art) have left a lot to be desired, and that's an understatement. The low point to date is that horrendous one-off Kev special. Truly excrebal.

http://continuitypages.com/authorityMILLAR.htm for a good study of the series.

With all of the above said, I think Stormwatch : Team Achilles is Ellis/Millar's successor in spirit.... loving it.

Zsinj
February 6th, 2004, 01:14 PM
I have the first graphic novelization of the Authority, I believe it's called "Relentless", if I'm not mistaken, and have read it, and personally I think it's really great, I also have the first Stormatch graphic noveliztion and I think it's a really good read too. I like how the superheroes are so original, with their own conflicted personalities, and not so much the carboard cut-outs that have abounded in the comics all these years.
And kudos to Ellis for not being afraid to stand up and put a homosexual superhero couple in there. I may not agree with the whole homosexual lifestyle myself, but I certainly am glad someone broke some ground and took the initiative to put that story element in there, whereas in the past it has seemed to be that the comics industry was a bit prejeudice towards the homosexuals.
(Not trying to start a debate or fight here, folks, I'm just stating how I feel about the issue) :)

fluffy bunny
February 6th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Have 'Relentless' and 'Under New Management' then stopped. Loved Ellis's work on the authority. To me, Millar's arc seemed to attept being sensational for sensational's sake.

Have been wondering whether or not to get the Coup d'etat coming out this month- have enjoyed sleeper thus far, but I'm not convinced about the other books in the current Eye of the Storm line. Liked wildcats vol 2, but vol 3 dragged a bit in terms of its pacing early on, so I dropped it. Team Achilles had some problems with the art not quite complimenting the story early in its run. The new direction the authority was taken in with v2 seemed very corny in the previews, so I avoided it.

What did you think of the Coup crossover thus far Keyoke?

Keyoke
February 7th, 2004, 01:09 AM
I liked it. I mean, for me, it was seeing the ole Authority team. I was a huge fan of Stormwatch when it first began, I was them from the start, to the point where Ellis took over.

It'd be nice to see Ed (the guy who writes Sleeper as well) take over the Authority title. He seemed to have a good grasp of the characters in Coup.

I liked it enough that I'll buy the rest of the mini.

As to Wild Cats.. well, i wanted to enjoy it, but, couldn't keep up with the story.

Sleeper to me is a excellent read though, I just recently bought the TPB of it (First six issues) and I'm almost done it. Excellent story. I already plan on picking up the six issues.

As a side note, I guess a new Wetworks title will come out of the Coup mini. I look forward to that, but, again, I think it's more nostalgia, since, I remember when Wetworks first came out from Image.

Keyoke