View Full Version : Exercise 4

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Jacquin
February 7th, 2004, 06:40 AM
I've just got back home after working away for three weeks, during my time away I managed to do a couple of things.

The first one was to get my laptop working again, the second was to sit and plan out exercise 4. I even went as far as to write the first post. However as you have probably guessed by now I managed to lose it so this is exercise 4.2.

This one is going to be a little different. It will involve a little more courage than usual, but it should be very interesting and quite informative.

It will be in two parts, the first of which is as you'd expect writing something.

It is entirely up to you what you write, as long as it is approximately 500 words in length and you won't be offended by some honest criticism...

I will leave it a week or so and put up part two :D

Oh, we'll need at least four to make part two feasible so get writing!!!!!

J

Iskaral Pust
February 8th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Do we post them up or just wait for the mysterious part 2?

Jacquin
February 9th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Post them up please! Mine will be along shortly... :D

Kaz
February 9th, 2004, 04:57 AM
What's part 2? (Fear of the Unknown forces me to ask as I dread what it may entail). Will it hurt?

Holbrook
February 9th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Kaz
What's part 2? (Fear of the Unknown forces me to ask as I dread what it may entail). Will it hurt?

Knowing J, yes it will ;)

Will work something up, but might take me a day or two...

Jacquin
February 9th, 2004, 06:42 AM
LOL!

It might hurt, not a lot though, and it will be good for you! :D

J

Kaz
February 9th, 2004, 07:09 AM
It''l hurt in a good way? LOL - didn't know you were the type :p :D

JRMurdock
February 9th, 2004, 05:56 PM
It'll hurt in a good way... hmmm sounds like a good working title.

JRMurdock
February 9th, 2004, 08:10 PM
I'll be the first to throw my work to the wolves.

Title: Drought
Words: 463

Story:

Richard’s pick kicked up dust each time it stuck the ground. The handkerchief across his mouth and nose was damp with sweat, but he wished it was water. He paused for a moment to shade his eyes from the hot, hot moonlight.

The rains didn’t fall anymore. There was no time for play. Every hand was busy at work trying to recover the land to support the population. They dug deep to find water suitable for drinking and there had barely enough to water the sparse plants we were able to grow.

“How’s digging over here, Dick?” Richard’s best friend Andrew asked? Growing up, Andrew and Richard were close friends. They had watched sci-fi movies all through the fifties and sixties. Richard was certain that aliens would destroy the Earth. He was almost correct.

“Diggin’s good here,” Richard replied. “I should be hitting water in about five or six feet. If you put your hand down this hole, you can feel the coolness.”

Being nearly eighty, Andrew didn’t bend down to reach into the hole, he just took Richard’s word for it. “Damn aliens!”

“I know what you mean, Andy. They comes down here with their big fancy ships, destroy the atmosphere and take all our water. You and me knew they weren’t no good. Did anyone listen? Nope, they all went out to greet those lousy, no-good…”

Andrew put his hand on Richard’s shoulder. “Calm down there old friend. You’ll just get yourself all worked up again. They’re gone anyway.”

“And with nearly all the water,” Richard said, throwing down his pick.

“They didn’t get it all, ya know,” Andrew said, trying to remain positive. “I mean, I heard the other day that some fellows found an under-ground cavern full of water over in the India Ocean.”

“Andy, how do you suppose we’re going to get from the middle of the Atlantic Ocean all the way to the Indian Ocean? It’d be just dandy if a plane landed, but everyone is too busy trying to find water just to stay alive, that there’s no more fuel to run ‘em. So what are we supposed to do?”

“We gots to keep a stiff upper lip and keep digging, Dick. And we gots to keep a positive attitude, too,” Andrew replied, throwing back his shoulders. “I mean, all the time we get closer and closer to finding more water. Just the other day, Stanly and his wife found a covered spot with worms in it. Worms, Dick, worms.”

“Then let us keep digging and hope we find some worms of our own, Andy.” Richard said with a sly grin.

Richard picked up his pick and once again began to pound it into the hard ground in search of water under the hot, hot moonlight.

tingmakpuk
February 9th, 2004, 10:09 PM
I could have gone for some humor in that one. I was psychologically prepared for amusing banter between two crotchety old farts. The dialogue was reaching for such banter, but didn't quite get there.

This next question will probably reveal ignorance on my part, but if the atmosphere is damaged enough for the moon to produce radiant heat, wouldn't the old farts have a hard time surviving unaided?