PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding DK2 (The Dark Knight Strikes Back)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zsinj
February 11th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Recently, I've seen that the sequel by Frank Miller to The Dark Knight Returns, DK2: The Dark Knight Strikes Back has been released in paperback, and now that it's in pb, I'm itching to buy it! (You see, I'm a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to buying books in hardback, much less graphic novels :D ) And I'm wondering has anyone read DK2, and if so, is it any good, and is it as good as DKI was, because if so, I certainly plan on buying it, because the Dark Knight Returns was an absolute masterpiece! It was Batman the way he was meant to be! So, could I have a little input/advice from you folks here, if it ain't too much trouble? :)

fluffy bunny
February 11th, 2004, 02:53 PM
DK2's still a bit of a contraversial subject, and the opinion of the story really depends who you ask. One thing for certain is that it is nowhere as good as DKR - if you haven't read Miller's Batman:Year one yet, I'd recommend you go and read that in preference to DK2.

DKR had something to say, and DK2 does try to say things, but it's saying pretty much the same thing as DKR. Needless to say the fans screamed bloody murder and phrases such as 'he only did it for the money.' Miller's pencils are a lot more abstract, and the colouring takes a LOT of getting used to- the garish colours didn't appeal to me.

As for the story itself, I'd say it was passable (well to be honest I found it inaccessible in places, but passable). Overall I wouldn't rate it that highly.

Ouroboros
February 11th, 2004, 05:51 PM
I'm with Fluffy Bunny on this one. A passable enough work in itself, is DK2, but hardly one that carries on the torch for DKR.

Warewolf
February 12th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Didn't really like the art on DK2, but I thought it was a great series. I think it was just mis-titled. It's more of a JLA story than a pure Batman story. Definitely worth the read.

saintjon
June 21st, 2004, 11:40 AM
It certainly wasn't nearly as good as DKR, but I will say that it was more fun. A more lighthearted story I guess. I read an interview Miller did with Maxim while he was still working on it where he mentioned how comics are all so gloomy these days, he wanted to do something more fun I guess. BTW, any spot in DKR where there was colour it was pretty "garish" :P. Overall there's more things to put colour to in this one I guess.

Whatever, I liked it.