PDA

View Full Version : Sojourn Graphic Novels?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

EscapeFromLife4
February 11th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Hey all I was wondering if anyone has picked up the sojourn graphic novels. I saw them on amazon and, i think they're graphic novels at least. I was wondering how the art is in them because im interested in buying them instead of buying all the back issues. Thanks all. And any other full color graphic novels anyone knows of? And whats good fantasy art two buy I'm looking at some louis ryo book called "visions". If anyone knows about either one of these let me know. Thanks

Joe

fluffy bunny
February 12th, 2004, 07:08 AM
if you saw them on amazon, they're probably the graphic novels

Order of Sojurn trades:

1 From the Ashes (Sojourn Prequel, 1-6; w Ron Marz; a Greg Land, Drew Geraci). [From CrossGen Comics: The dreaded warlord Mordath has returned from the grave, gathered his troll armies and crushed the Five Lands under his heel. Only one woman, the archer Arwyn, can end his evil reign. Driven by vengeance, Arwyn vows to bring about the despot's downfall. But Mordath can be defeated only by gathering the scattered fragments of a legendary weapon, forcing Arwyn to undertake an epic quest. With a rogue adventurer and a mysterious wise woman as her companions, Arwyn sets out to destroy ultimate evil.]

2 The Dragon's Tale (7-12; w Ron Marz; a Stuart Immonen, Greg Land, Drew Geraci, John Dell, June Brigman). [From CrossGen Comics: The archer Arwyn has taken up the quest for the Five Fragments in order to destroy the undead despot Mordath. Now her quest has led her to an encounter with a beast thought long vanished from the Five Lands - a huge dragon. Will the fearsome creature prove to Mordath's doom... or Arwyn's?]

3 The Warrior's Tale (13-18; w Ron Marz; a Greg Land, Aaron Lopresti, Jay Leisten, Roland Paris). [From CrossGen Comics: Evil's shadow lengthens as the undying Mordath tightens his grip on the Five Lands. The lone hope of ending his tyranny is the archer Arwyn, whose quest for the mythic Five Fragments continues in the mysterious land of Ankhara, home to a race of winged warriors. As Arwyn and her companions are drawn into a bloody rebellion against Mordath's troll armies, Ankhara's tombs disgorge ancient secrets and dusty death!]

Ouroboros
February 12th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Imagine a series of novels combining most of the cliches of epic fantasy, executed compentlenty if unremarkably.

Translate that into graphic novel format, and that's what you've got. Fun light reading, but not earth-shattering.

I quite like the art.

Warewolf
February 12th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Sojourn is an excellent series. Gorgeous art by Greg Land and interesting characters and places brought to life by, first, Ron Marz and, currently, Ian Edington. You might want to also check out other trades from Crossgen:

Negation - kick ass sci-fi epic
Scion - another fantasy, but not quite as epic, definitely a good read, though
Way of the Rat - Jackie Chan-type kung-fu action/comedy (with a talking monkey)
The Path - compelling samurai epic

As for fantasy art, you might want to check out anything from Michael Whelan. Gorgeous! I'd also recommend Michael Parkes, but I believe his books are out of print.

tpetty
June 21st, 2004, 10:20 PM
I've got all of Royo's art books. They're fantastic, but the recent Prohibited books are a little too graphic.

Mithfânion
November 5th, 2004, 03:45 AM
I'm with Ourobouros on Sojourn. I personally preferred Brath, but that series seems to have come to an untimely halt.

I'm thinking of checking out other Crossgen titles like The Path, Scion and The First.