View Full Version : Best Doctor Who enemy

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

milamber_reborn
February 15th, 2004, 12:41 AM
I'll go for the Cybermen from the 1st and 2nd Doctor era, before they became stock-standard metal robots.

Honourbale mentions: The Master because he's cool and the Meddling Monk because he's funny.

Leiali
February 17th, 2004, 09:10 AM
I don't remember Davros very well, but I work with the actor who played him, and he is great so I have voted for him!

kahnovitch
February 18th, 2004, 04:41 AM
I went for Davros. He was everything an arch-villain should be; an evil, deformed, green-skinned goblin with a superiority complex and army of minions to do his bidding.
However the daleks were a little impractical as a master race, considering a staircase was all it took to foil them :rolleyes:
Plus they looked more like household servant droids, complete with egg-whisk and sink-plunger :o

Bond
February 18th, 2004, 06:55 AM
Among the regular arch-enemies probably The Master. The creepiest enemy for me though was that virus on that infected space station. The one that was even able to infect K-9. "Contact...." The invisible anti-matter ghost stalker on that planet on the edge of the universe and the robot that found a way to kill against its programming I still remember. Of course the Doctor's friends when they were being influenced by others were notable too. Colonel Yates with the third Doctor and that other guy with the sixth Doctor.

milamber_reborn
February 19th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Leiali - You work with Terry Molloy? Cool.

For anyone who doesn't know, Michael Wisher (now deceased) played the original Davros for one story, as well as various other characters. Terry Molloy did the other three Davros stories.

kahnovitch
February 20th, 2004, 04:23 AM
Not much of a boast, but as we're on the subject, I bumped into Sylvester McCoy in a late night irish pub on Holloway Road once.
Not that I ever bothered watching Doctor Who after Tom Baker.
:o

Hobbit
February 20th, 2004, 05:05 AM
Usually on these things the Daleks win hands down - erm, plungers down! - so much so, that the last time the UK Radio Times (sort of like the UK version of TV Guide btw) did a similar poll, they just said that they knew the Daleks would be first and it was the others who fought it out, so to speak.

I always thought Sylvester McCoy was underrated at the end, btw - was just starting to get interesting when it ended. But then again, I didn't think Colin Baker's Trial of a Time Lord was that bad either, nor the McGann US/UK TV movie - though that seriously messed with key elements of the Doctor's character. (He really has come on in the Big Finish Audio adventures that I've heard - very impressed!)

I'm thinking the Master myself - particularly the Roger Delgado one (the first!) who scared me when I was younger.

Though the Cybermen are very scary, audio - style. Try the Sword of Orion audio which shows them to be seriously nasty, vicious and violent.

And the mutated maggots from the Jon Pertwee era Green Death were really not nice. Was very careful where I went treading in the garden after that one!

There are lots of enemies that haven't been mentioned here though, that perhaps could have been mentioned - what about Jon Pertwee's costuming, the seemingly ever-screaming Bonnie Langford (Mel) or even good old Michael Grade, controller of the BBC, who actively hated the series and did his best to kill it - finally succeeded (until now at least :) )

Nope - gotta be the Daleks. :D

Hobbit

kahnovitch
February 20th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Shouldn't the daleks and Davros count as the same vote, as you can't really have one without the other?

milamber_reborn
February 21st, 2004, 05:47 AM
Davros was late on the scene.

Though I've never seen Trial of a Timelord, I know that the Valeyard is one of the coolest villians. He was a dark manifestation of the Doctor between his 12th and 13th incarnations. Now that a darker tone is acceptable in such a series, I'd like to see the Valeyard return.

ffs1942
March 1st, 2004, 12:36 AM
The Starion(sp?) Warriors. Daleks are a joke, can't negotiate a shag carpet. Other villians are easily evaded if you don't stand there screaming.

When the Starion Warriors suddenly and unexpectedly arrived in a Tom Baker episode a local tried to sound the alarm. A Starion Warrior, despite his makeup and "armor" sprinted across the stage, up on the balcony and bowled over the local with the speed and agility of a wild, hungry tiger. Must have actually hurt the target actor. Quick as a cat!