PDA

View Full Version : Influential Writers!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

LUKEDAWG
February 16th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Who are some of the writers that have an influence upon your own writing?

When I first began writing I tried to emulate some of the masters, not neccesarilly to be a carbom copy of say..Stephen King, but to kind of get an idea of what styles of writing work, and some that do not. I'd write a page trying to write in the style of Stephen King, and then the next page I'd try writing a sequence like Hemingway. Those two as well as Clive Barker and Poe have had a significant effect on the way I write. So who influences you?

JRMurdock
February 16th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Gosh, who doesn't (well, other than Tad Williams and Robert Jordan). I love to read and nearly everything I've read has had influence on my style (as well as genre). Early Stephen King definately had an influence, but he went the way of the wordier and I've not pick up a book of his since. The likes of Piers Anthony (though many in this forum hate him) I enjoy once I'm away from his Xanth Series, Heinlein, John Norman I like without all the blatent sexual overtones. Just the gritty, full blast in your face stories.

But then I'll muse over Asimov, Bradbudy, Tolkein and when I do, a completely different style emerges.

It all depends on mood, I'd have to say (as well as how many beers I've had). But I'd have to say that nearly anything I've read has had influence over my style, but I don't TRY and write like any one particular writer. I try and let the words flow out as naturally as possible and don't worry if I just wrote a sentence like Hobbs, Poe, Eddings, Donaldson or even a newspaper-article-writer. It's all good writing and I can take away something from nearly any piece of written material. It's all learning and learning never ends.

*Whew* what inspired all that. Oh yeah, Thanks Lukedawg!

milamber_reborn
February 16th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Raymond E. Feist, Robert Jordan, Geroge R. R. Martin, Phillip K. Dick.

I'm not very well read and I'm a slow reader, but I try to absorb and learn as much as I can when I'm reading.

Lucky Joe
February 17th, 2004, 03:11 AM
I don't try to write like them, but I really enjoy (and therefore would like to write in a similar fashion to..) Robin Hobbs, J V Jones, Steven Erikson, Bernard Cornwell, Terry Brooks (The Word and the void, but not Shannara), Donaldson and Hemmingway (I had to throw in one of those old schoolers we're supposed to know about!)

And I hope I don't write like Fiest, Eddings, Jordan, Brooks (Shannara), but having said that I would like any one of their paychecks! I don't think they're bad writers, it's just that what they do write is not for me. Ah but then neither is Tolkien and most fantasty fans think he's a god so whadayado?

kahnovitch
February 17th, 2004, 09:07 AM
I'd have to say Robert E Howard and Isaac Asimov.
I write SF by the way. :)

Dawnstorm
February 17th, 2004, 02:01 PM
A few I can think of (not only writers, you'll notice):

J.G. Ballard, David Bowie, Danielle Hope, Franz Kafka, Kathe Koja, Doris Lessing (Golden Notebook; her SF novels bored me), Michael Moorcock, Monty Pythons, Ian MacDonald, Pacman, Virginia Woolf, Oscar Wilde...

Well, okay, I lied about Pacman...