PDA

View Full Version : New Here

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

JohnABurks
March 6th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Hello all, just found your forum and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is John A Burks, Jr. I'm a fourth gereration oilfield worker living in Houston, Texas. Writing is my passion along with world domination (Thanks Sid).

Great forum

Rocket Sheep
March 6th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Welcome JohnABurks, always good to have another writer aboard, admirable passions.

Pop down to the Introductions thread (http://www.sffworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5222) in the general section and introduce yourself there to the whole forum. :D

JRMurdock
March 6th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Well met John,

Hope you'll join in the fun.

tingmakpuk
March 6th, 2004, 11:02 PM
along with world domination

Been there, done that. It's overrated, really.

Miriamele
March 7th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Welcome, John. If writing is your passion then you'll find plenty of like-minded people around here. As for world domination...well, there are a couple of those types here too. ;) :D

Expendable
March 10th, 2004, 06:13 AM
The biggest problem with world domination is what do you do with it when you have it? I mean, suddenly everything is your fault.

Someone steals a shipment of food ment for some village in Africa that starves to death - your fault. A ship runs aground and spills thousands of gallons of crude oil - your fault. A heat wave hits Europe - your fault. People die in a riot because one of your men panics and starts firing wildly into a crowd - your fault. Milk prices go up ten cents...

And you're expected to fix all the problems. Cable goes out, you fix it. No medical insurance? You fix it. Same-sex couples who want to get married...

Not to mention all the people that will come gunning for you! Freedom fighters, assassins, civil action groups, talk show hosts, reporters, paparazzi.... >.<

Plus family and friends will write tell-all books and sell lurid stories to the press as soon as your dead and unable to defend yourself so future generations will think you're this colossal jerk who never had time for family because you were too busy wiping everyone else's noses - not to mention all the abuse you heaped on your kids and all that weird perverted stuff 'nobody knew about'.

I mean, after everything is said and done, is world domination really worth it?

Which is why I... hmm. No. I better not tell you that. I wouldn't want to upset you. ;)

So what are you writing?

JohnABurks
March 10th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Lol, i think you may have misunderstood the world domination bit. I'm addicted to Civ3. Problems generally involve moving more troops to unhappy cities that you've conqured, beating other cives to new techs, and balancing your budget so you can build more units to move to unhappy cities that you've conqured.

As for what I'm writing right now. Working on second novel, but put it down temporarily to write a story for an antho i was invited to.

My first book, Demon Daze, is available from cyberpulpbooks.com

Expendable
March 10th, 2004, 09:45 PM
oh. Well, that's fun too.... =^_^;=