PDA

View Full Version : How...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Icemant90
March 10th, 2004, 01:57 PM
I have been working on a book for quite some time now, and have a few questions.
1. Do the pages have to be numbered?
2. Does it matter about the size of the paper?
3. Do I need to put in chapter starts and name them?
4. Do I need a cover?
5. Do I need an illustrator?

Jacquin
March 10th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Icemant90
I have been working on a book for quite some time now, and have a few questions.
4. Do I need a cover?

Wow, I wish I could answe all these, it would certainly make getting published a lot easier if there were universal guidelines.

I'd say the best thing you can do is get hold of the Writer's Handbook and do some serious research into how the individual publishers like things to be laid out. It may well mean that you have to change it for every submission but if you don't meet the criteria it is highly unlikely that you will ever make it off the slush pile.

I think 4 and 5 I can actually answer, if you are going for POD it can't hurt but check it out with the publisher, if you are submitting it with the hope of a major publishing house taking you on and paying you immense sums of money they sort those if they decide to take you on.

Hope this helps.

J

JRMurdock
March 10th, 2004, 07:08 PM
I agree with Jacquin here, every place I've ever submitted my book to has had different guidelines and formatting. Don't worry about art unless you're an artist and you've done inside illustrations on your own. For format, you can read most places on their web page for the format they desire. Some point to examples while others tell you in 10-15 pages what they expext (and yes, I've read some and thought if I spend THAT much time just formatting...). So look and read and you'll fing the info you desire. You can also call or e-mail for guidelines and 99% of the companies accepting will be happy to send them to you.

pdb
March 11th, 2004, 03:25 AM
yes
yes (A4)
yes and (no (you don't have to name them)
no
no

Holbrook
March 11th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Go here read all the articles, good guide , good site...

http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pubsubs.htm

KatG
March 11th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Icemant90
4. Do I need a cover?
I'm assuming you're asking these questions re trying to market a manuscript?

If so then:

1. Yes, absolutely the pages need to be numbered. It is preferable that they be numbered sequentially throughout the manuscript, rather than by chapter. Page numbers usually go in the upper right-hand corner or at the bottom of the page in the middle.

2. Yes, because copying and handling odd-sized paper is awkward. Standard letter-size 8.5 inches by 11 inches is the usual choice.

3. You need to indicate the start of a new chapter and which chapter it is. You don't have to have titles to your chapters unless you wish to do so.

4&5. The publisher, should you get one to take your book, provides the cover and any illustrators needed. The author has very little say about the cover, so there's no point in providing one.