PDA

View Full Version : Help

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

aftermath
March 11th, 2004, 12:33 PM
I have submitted several stories to this site but none of them that but put on. Why arean't they allowed on the site? I tried to read the guidelines but you know, i thought this take me less time and my only access to a pc is during my classes, so i dont have much time. Can there be swearing or violence, because right there, they are cutting out a large chunck of writing. I myself, can't write the type of fantasy i do with violence, and swearing, i se nothing wrong with. Its a bloody word. For example, if you were to get hit in the face, you wouldn't swear? i think not. anyway back to the point, is that why my stories aren't accpeted?

Lifino
March 11th, 2004, 12:57 PM
I'm not a mod, nor am I at all involved in the screening process, but I've been around long enough to have seen this question before... By no means am I qualified to answer this question.

The staff at SFFw have a very strict screening process, which takes time. Further more they recieve several submissions each day, which over time add up to a very large pile of stories that must be read. Each of these must be reviewed and evaluated. Again to confuse and lengthen the process, several of the review staff will then offer feedback/constructive-criticism to those who have submitted.

This process can take several weeks. But none of that matters, as they only update that section of the site about 6 times a year.

It is fantastic that you have shared your writing, and I can simpathise with your eagerness to see your stories out there on the net. Please give it time. You will hear back from SFFw one way or another.

Good luck.

choppy
March 11th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Hi Aftermath,

I don't speak for the administrators for the site, however I thought I'd throw in my opinions on a few points.

First of all, you should note that there is a turn around time between when you submit a story and when it is posted here. The volunteers (employees?) of the site need to read what is submitted to make sure that it corresponds to their guidlines and that takes time (often a few weeks). If this is the case, just be patient.
(EDIT: I see Lifino touched on this as I was writing my response.)

Can there be swearing or violence, because right there, they are cutting out a large chunck of writing. I myself, can't write the type of fantasy i do with violence, and swearing, i se nothing wrong with. Its a bloody word. For example, if you were to get hit in the face, you wouldn't swear? i think not.
Well, this is something that the administrators of the site have control over. In most fantasy there is a certain element of violence and vulgarity that is commonly acceptable. By submitting a piece of work that goes beyond this ground, the author is asking the publishers to produce something that may affect their reputation, or stand for something they do not wish to.

If you need to know where your work stands, it would be worth your while to read some of the more popular fantasy works out there, or even just some of the other stories posted on the site.

Holbrook
March 11th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Aftermath;

PM the names of the stories and the name under which you submitted them and I will attempt to find out for you.

One thing all work submitted here has to be suitable for a PG13 audience, language just for the sake of it, Violence that is to over the top, political or sexual or abusive will most likely be thrown out.

But you should really read the outlines regarding what is permitted and acceptable for a site before you submit. I write a lot of very dark, somewhat erotic work at times, but no way would I submit it here...

Dawnstorm
March 11th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Don't worry Aftermath.

The short-story-section of the site has been updated 2 or 3 times after I submitted my story; and it was never included. Finally, I received an e-mail that my story was accepted. They've got many, many stories to read. If you haven't got an e-mail specifically telling you you're stories have been declined, they probably haven't read them yet.