View Full Version : wheel of time movie

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

jeanie
March 12th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Not sure if this has been posted, dark horizons had a link posted to this article from variety:

"Red Eagle Entertainment has optioned worldwide feature rights to Robert Jordan's 11-book series "The Wheel of Time." Deal includes all ancillary rights.
Red Eagle will initially work to produce an adaptation of the first novel, "The Eye of the World." Once that's achieved, adaptations of the others will follow.

"Eye of the World" begins when villagers of Emond's Field are attacked by minions of a force known as Dark One, forcing three young men to confront their destiny and begin a quest.

Red Eagle will not produce programming itself but will seek a production partner and focus on the ancillary licensing of branded products and services.

"In order to meet the high expectations of the millions of devoted Robert Jordan fans around the world, we intend to make careful choices regarding the development and management of the first installment," said Red Eagle president Rick Selvage.

Jordan's most recent installment was prequel "The New Spring," which bowed at No. 1 on the New York Times bestseller list. Jordan is expected to pen at least two more full-length novels to complete the series, along with two additional prequels.

Since 1990, more than 15 million books have been sold to readers in North America alone and the series has been published in 24 languages.

Headed by Selvage, former president of global media for IBM, the Malibu-based Red Eagle specializes in licensing and brand management of entertainment properties."

milamber_reborn
March 12th, 2004, 11:25 PM
Cool.

I heard that a computer animated short was being made of the Eye of the World prologue a few years back, but that never eventuated.

ChrisW
March 13th, 2004, 02:56 AM
the movie won't either. Not with that company anyway.

Iskaral Pust
March 13th, 2004, 03:19 PM
And are they seriously planning to make 10+ films? That seems like a bit of a financial risk.

ChrisW
March 13th, 2004, 07:13 PM
heh they don't have any finaces to risk so it's a moot point:).

Dominus
March 13th, 2004, 07:54 PM
I think making the movies is impossible, really. I mean, LotR was made into three 3 hour long movies (more in the extended), but the books themselves add up to less than one WoT book, to make just one book, they would have to either cut out tons of material, making the movie somewhat dull most likely, or even more improbably, trying to get as much of it in as they can, which would mean a really long, financially impossible movie. If, and that's a big if, they ever make any movies based on the WoT, they're going to suck, in my opinion.

Frostmourne
March 13th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Too bad Peter Jackson isn't a WoT fan...

milamber_reborn
March 13th, 2004, 09:40 PM
If they concentrated on action and less on the slow chapters, they could compress the series significantly into a good set of movies.

ChrisW
March 13th, 2004, 11:18 PM
no they could not. Looks like the darkside has claimed little pug:).

Sparhawke
April 21st, 2004, 11:52 AM
I think it's always possible. There's a whole lot of deadwood that could stand to be cut out, and with a little creative fusing of books, perhaps in groups of three...

I don't think it could be pulled off anytime soon though. There's too much depth for a movie series, even if they made them ass-numbingly long.