View Full Version : Exercise 6

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jacquin
March 14th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Now I've noticed that some of the exercises have been considerably more popular than others, some have had more people posting whilst some have obviously got the interest of the people posting regardless of how many of us there have been.

What sort of exercises have you enjoyed? Are there any things you think we should do more of or are you happy to just leave it up to me?

I have a couple of ideas but I want to make sure we are doing what you want to do.

For those of you who haven't yet joined in what can I do to make it more appealing to you?

J

tingmakpuk
March 14th, 2004, 05:34 PM
The most enjoyable to read were the ones that were drafted by one person and edited by another.

But in my case, it's a lack of time that keeps me from participating more. The exercises have been great.

JRMurdock
March 14th, 2004, 05:52 PM
I'd have to say that the interactive one (edit some else's work) was the best. I'd say go for another interactive. Or do a starting sentence or title exercise. Give potential posters a little bit of a start and let them run with it. I know that there are many contests on the web similar to that. Perhaps this could be more of a confidence building exercise and we could get more people into entering contests.

But I think interactive is good as well. Perhaps have some one start something, but leave off the last paragraph or two (the ending) and some else must post the end of the story PLUS correct any errors (typos, grammar errors, punctuation, etc.). You could hand out assignments by random draw once the post is up.

Going with the title or starter sentence, perhaps have everyone post a starter sentence and then you dole out who does which. You'll not know what you get and this'll make you stretch. The sentence could be ambigious or very specific. Those who post a sentence will be assigned a sentence to work with and post back. Maybe this'd be a good spot to have the person leave the ending open and have the original poster of the sentence finish the story that was done.

hmm... I'm rambling today, aren't I?

Dawnstorm
March 14th, 2004, 11:05 PM
I liked the interactive on best, too. :)

kahnovitch
March 15th, 2004, 05:36 AM
I was sorely tempted to post on the "conversation with a boring guy" idea, as a couple of friends of mine (no one on these boards so everybody can relax) have been dragging me out for drinks (don't mind that so much) and then moaning about the same old crap over and over again.
The only problem is I tend to switch off and go into "nodding politely" mode, whilst amusing myself with other thoughts.

Maybe I should have taken my dictaphone along to record the sheer banality of the dialogue and my subsequent mental diversions.

Jacquin
March 15th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Ok, I guess those were all fairly predictable responses. It's nice to hear them though.

Right I suppose as I've titled this "Exercise 6" I should go on to put something in the way of an exercise in here...

I'm going to adapt one of the ideas I had and take Maus99's suggestion for this one.

The first section of this exercise is for you to post up an idea for a story. It is however not quite that simple.

I want this to be a story idea that has been reworked thousands of times, I want it to be so familiar that we will all know of at leats one or two stories that have used it. You can take it from nursery rhymes, fables, history, the bible, in fact anywhere you want as long as it is oooooooooold. Don't go into much detail, just sum it up in a sentence or two.

When we have enough I will in my usual God-like manner hand these ideas out and we will move onto part two...

Ok?

Go!

Jacquin
March 15th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Ooops :o forgot this bit...

My idea is this!

Man meets and falls in love with a woman. However she turns out to be something other than he expected.

(Possible examples: The little mermaid, The king of Elfland's daughter, The tale of Sir Topas, Cinderella, etc. etc.)

JRMurdock
March 15th, 2004, 09:54 AM
You want old, eh? And I saw you mention the Bible, so...

Every religion in history has a flood story. Every religion. Gilgamesh, Noah, and a list of others from around the globe. I do believe you can find a list of over 700 flood stories if you choose to look. Your task should you choose to accept it: write a new flood story.

P.S. Hey Jacquin, is there a word limit on this one? 500? 1000? No Limit on words, just time?

Dawnstorm
March 15th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Boy travels to the underworld to bring his dead girlfriend back to life but fails.

(The Orpheus-story. It's been done to DEATH; there's even a movie with Robin Williams :eek: )

Have fun with that one. :D

Jacquin
March 16th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by maus99
P.S. Hey Jacquin, is there a word limit on this one? 500? 1000? No Limit on words, just time?

Hold your horses my eager young maus... :D

All will become clear I promise!

J