PDA

View Full Version : Examples of vignettes

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

summergirl
March 16th, 2004, 02:42 AM
I recently came across the word 'vignette' in an English textbook, and looking in the dictionary, found out that it was 'a short graceful literary sketch', among other things. I tried looking on the internet for examples of them, but couldn't find any.

Can anyone suggest any vignettes that I could read, and where I might find them? Or maybe if someone has written one, would you be able post it here? I would greatly appreciate it.:)

Expendable
March 16th, 2004, 06:11 AM
I found this for you, I think you'll like it.

http://www.patchword.com/original/anthology/vignette_geb.html

funky_fantasist
March 16th, 2004, 06:31 AM
"He was a tall man with cold, cold eyes..." That was by Louis Lamour and was told to me by a very famous writer as an example of what a quick character sketch (vignette) could achieve. He read us the quote and then talked about other things for about an hour - then he asked us if anyone remembered the man in the quotation. We said remarkable things like: he had blue eyes, he was a cruel person, he stood in a threatening way... Loads of impressions we had! When he read us the quotation again to remind us of what was *actually* said, we nearly fell over!!! A very powerful tool methinks!

Of course the other person famed for his ability with vignettes was Charles Dickens - can't think of any examples off the top of my head but I know there are some prime examples in Oliver Twist and Great Expectations. Mind you, Dickens was also very clever in his use of names which often suggested something about the character - Uriah Heep and Mr Bumble etc...

Sorry - waffling...
HTH

Funky
:D