PDA

View Full Version : What is your writing rate?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

El_Pollo_Diablo
March 16th, 2004, 03:22 AM
A couple of questions, actually. First, how fast do you write? Not words per minute, necessarily, but how rapid do you crank out pieces? I ask because I find that I move (at least to me) at a colossally slow pace. Whenever I sit down and write I'm often annoyed to find that an hour later I'll only have a page or even less of actual text down, single spaced. I'll usually average about an hour a page.

This leads to my second question. Do most of you find yourselves writing parts of your work over and over again as you are writing it? I think this is the main reason why I have so little when I finish for a night. I usually never like what comes out when I first write it, and find that I have to write and rewrite it. I can never write "smoothly" or get in a flow, like so many writers talk about. Am I strange, or do you guys also have this problem?

user123
March 16th, 2004, 03:55 AM
I've never really timed how fast I write something, so I can't help you there. But about rewriting what you just wrote, why don't you try to put it all down on paper first. After you have the whole story typed out, then go back over it and fix what you think is wrong. Going over the same page time and again isn't going to do anything but mess with your head. Get it all out and the rewrite what you don't like.

kahnovitch
March 16th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by user123
Going over the same page time and again isn't going to do anything but mess with your head. Get it all out and the rewrite what you don't like.

Good advice.
Writing tends to come in spurts for me. Sometimes I might struggle for an hour and produce a page of work. Other times it pours out in a great torrent and I can't type fast enough to keep up with the flow.
That is pretty much the nature of anything creative though, and during the slower periods it may help to skip ahead to another part of the story, which you already have planned in you mind, or just take a break and get some coffee, tea or fresh air.

choppy
March 16th, 2004, 11:09 AM
I find on average I go at a pace of about 1 page per hour. When I'm in the groove I can get up to about 5 or 6 pages in an hour, but when you factor in brainstorming, planning and, staring at the screen, snack breaks, etc. I come back to roughly one in an hour.

I specifically go out of my way to no to re-write stuff during a first draft. Writing a novel is a lot like building a house. You have to lay the foundation and put up a frame first. There's no point in putting furniture in the basement until you have a roof.

(The similie spartan strikes again!)

JRMurdock
March 16th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Gosh, I see everyone doing number of pages. I've never timed myself by number of pages, but I have cranked out an 8K short story in just under 2 hours. I've written 1K flash fiction in under 30 minutes. I've written upwards of 20K words in a day (about 12 hours of writing). I wrote my second and third novels in my spare time in just under one month each (each book around 65K). But that's pure writing. Letting thoughts pour onto pages. I think I've heard it called writer's flow (vs. writer's block).

I'm currently editing my first three novels as I've not done so in quite some time. I was able to edit 60 pages today (in about 4 hours) and I was able to clear away a large number of mistakes, correct awkward sentences and remove a lot of excessive words. I'm amazed I ever submitted my first book...:)

Writing for me goes very fast. It's the editing process that takes time and I'm finally getting the knack of it. I had to read a few grammar books, but I'm much better than I was 365 days ago.

I think what's helped me be so speedy is I type at approx~80 WPM. It helps get thought straight from my head and into MSWord much faster. I've seen friends two finger type and it drives me mad.

milamber_reborn
March 16th, 2004, 10:23 PM
I try to write to two short stories a month plus editing.

El_Pollo_Diablo
March 17th, 2004, 03:17 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Excuse me if I gush for a moment, but this is such a great forum; I have been lurking on it for months, soaking in all the valuable tidbits of writing advice. Anyways, I have a larger follow-up question. If planning is my problem, which is probably is, how much planning do you do before writing? I mean actual plot stuff, not research. Do you have the entire story from beginning to end in your mind? Every scene? How much detail, and so on?

kahnovitch
March 17th, 2004, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by maus99
I think what's helped me be so speedy is I type at approx~80 WPM. It helps get thought straight from my head and into MSWord much faster. I've seen friends two finger type and it drives me mad.

Now that is a definite bonus!
I can manage about 40-50 wpm as I don't touch type, but it would greatly improve the thought to typed word turnover.

I know Isaac Asimov used a dictaphone several times and his wife drafted up the story on the typewriter for him.

I guess what we two finger typers need is voice-recognition software that actually works!