PDA

View Full Version : "Grasshoppa...."

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Eldanuumea
March 18th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Just got in the new DVD first season of the old TV classic "Kung Fu." I didn't watch it at the time it was playing, but then later caught an episode here and there, and saw the pilot a couple of times.
When I saw it was being released, hubby and I thought it was time to learn more about this golden oldie.
Tonight I will hogtie my girls and get them to watch the pilot with us....they need to meet "Grasshoppa" and his Shaolin master.

Eurytus
March 19th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Kung Fu was OK but Monkey was better !

Leiali
March 19th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Hear Hear!! Didn't the Kung Fu guy have a cameo role in Kill Bill?
Still, Monkey is just as good now as it was then!

Ouroboros
March 19th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Carradine plays 'Bill' himself in 'Kill Bill'....

The old 'Kung Fu' series was mind-blowing as a child, and definitley contributed to the martial arts craze that took off around then. In hindsight, a lot of what seemed deep and amazing to a 12 year old now seems cheesy and plastic, but its still a fun show and has aged well in some ways.... maybe because of the western setting.

Eldanuumea
March 20th, 2004, 05:41 AM
My 13-year-old daughter finds it fascinating......my son hasn't made it home yet from uni this weekend, and I wam wondering what he'll think of it.
The daughter likes martial arts films......is a fan of Matrix, Crouching Tiger, Shogun, Last Samurai, etc.

I explained to her that, without Kung Fu, there would be no Mr. Miyaga! Honestly, as I watched the pilot, I realized how culturally seminal this show was. Gosh, Celestial Seasonings, the candle and incense industries, and New Age music owe a great deal to it!(being a little silly, but there is some truth in it)

Eurytus
March 21st, 2004, 11:09 AM
I must admit that I would have liked to have seen what Kung Fu would have been like had they stuck to the original idea which was to build the show around Bruce Lee.

Anything that would have given us more Bruce would have been a good thing in my book.