PDA

View Full Version : Struggling Writers?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Rira
March 20th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Hey, any struggling writers out there? i know im one...i cant seem to finnish i a book ive been working on for 2 years!!! its a sorta fantasy thing, i suppose, without the fantasy elements...its diffucult to explain. But after 2 years of random chapters (some, like the 1st, written 11 or 12 different times!) and notes, ive finnally finnished the 1st chapter..and am somewhat satisfied. ITs the best yet, anyway....or at least, it gets down what is needed...anyway? remarks?

choppy
March 20th, 2004, 06:37 PM
You're in good company Rira. I'm another one of those struggling writer types. Although, I don't think of it so much as a struggle. To me it's more of a hobbie - somthing I do because I enjoy.

Here's some advice that's been given to me in the past that might help. Concentrate on finishing the first draft, rather than making the first chapter perfect. Nothing will be perfect in the first run. A lot of stuff get thrown away as the story progresses anyway.

Cheers!

Jacquin
March 20th, 2004, 06:57 PM
God yes!

I've started more books than I can remember. I have never yet finished one.

For a long time I knew I wasn't a short story writer but a novellist just waiting to be published, then I tried writing shorts. I found I quite enjoyed it.

Still not published, but in all honesty I haven't tried very hard. I've had a couple of rejections and still have one out there at the mo. Struggling writer? To be brutal I'd probably say I was a lethargic writer...

J

Gregg Bradley
March 20th, 2004, 09:45 PM
To Rira and all the other struggling writers,

Trying to write your very first sci-fi novel is not an easy chore. I know because it took me three years to write my first novel. And after you have edited it over and over again, (unless you found a really good book doctor) then comes the really hard task of finding a publisher who will accept it!

You don't have to write each day. Take time off and write when you have the urge. Stick with it. Most give up before the reach one-hundred pages. However, a number of publishers will accept a book that is at least 40 pages long.

Finally, don't give up. You have a whole life time to complete your book project. Just believe in yourself.

From the author of "Red Stars"

JRMurdock
March 20th, 2004, 11:18 PM
Not to discourage you, but help. I started my first novel in 1988. I had about 15 false starts--as I like to call them--where I'd get 5 or 6 chapters written. I'd get frustrated and toss out the whole mess. Everything. I even burned one copy I became so frustrated.

Then, in 1996, I finished my first VERY rough draft. It took me about 2 months and when I say rough, I mean rough. It was little more than two or three hand written pages for each chapter. I did the same thing with book 2. Then came the day I finally bought a computer and my life has never been the same. I put book one into my computer and gave it new life. I spent three years reading other books (I'd been off reading for about 7 years at the time). I studied English--my worst subject in high school. I learned all I could and edited my first book to death. Then I did book 2, and book 3. It got easier.

Recently I picked up more books on Grammar and Punctuation and spelling. I'm now re-editing my first book and preparing to submit it to TOR. This'll be my sixth publisher I'm submitting to.

In my spare time, I've written several short stories and I've read as many books as possible (15 last year and 20 so far this year). With each book I read and each short story I write, the writing process becomes much easier. If you're having a tough time getting your first book written, stop writing it and work on something else. Read a book, write a short story. Do an outline. Anything else but try to force your first chapter perfect. You'll only frustrate yourself and spin your wheels. Move past it and come back when the book is done. Let the creative juices flow and write creatively. Once you've done the book, put on your grammar hat and then really go to work putting the polish on the story.

Sorry I'm so long winded. I just don't want to see a writer put the label on themselves as 'struggling'. I prefer to label myself a lover of writing. I never want to struggle at it. I'll struggle to get published, but not to write. :)

Best of luck and well met, Rira

Rira
March 21st, 2004, 09:30 AM
Thank you. I do struggle, but dont get me wrong! Writing is my life! I read alot, and with every book i read, i make mental notes on the authors writing, and rreading is wonderful, but writing....when you read, you see the world through the character's eyes, you know the character, and travel with them. When you write, you ARE the chacter! Writing means sthe world to me, and ive writtne all manner of things, just for hte joy of writing. But this one peice....im having trouble with....ii'll get it though....as soon as im out of the beginning, things will get easier....

KATS
March 21st, 2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Gregg Bradley
You don't have to write each day.

I disagree completely. But then different methods work for different people.

The way I finished my novel was that I set a deadline. Then given my deadline I gave myself an easy daily word count. I allowed for the occasional hectic day and didn’t beat myself up if I missed one or two days a week, though I tried to at least get a sentence or two even on the most hectic day. Some of my chapters could hardly be called chapters as they read more like an outline title or a summary of what was to be in that chapter. But it did allow me to move forward. And moving forward is the most important thing. I did not allow myself to edit, not at this stage. I wrote it then moved on to the next scene. If I realized that a previous scene wouldn’t work or it needed to be adjusted, well I made a note so that when I went back for my first edit, I could deal with that scene then.

I did my first edit this way as well, only this time I set my goal at editing a chapter a day. Doing this I actually beat my deadline by several days.

But then, like I said, different people have different methods. What works for me (and this does work very well for me) may not work for you.

Kimberly
KATS

Rira
March 21st, 2004, 11:52 AM
maybe i will try that. a little more structure wouldnt hurt in my writing habits. Besides, thats what it said in a book ive read. Excellent book. i definatly recommened "How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy" by Orson Scott Card. It is excellent, besides nameing some pubishers, it helps you to edit your work, write better, and come up with ideas. AND it well written. It was entertaining to read, i actually read it cover to cover, and it helped more that you would believe!

Gregg Bradley
March 21st, 2004, 01:32 PM
GOOD! Whatever makes you happy. Write when you wish to and always write down an idea even if it pops into your head when your in bed late at night and you just shut off the lights.
Dreams especially work best for me.:)

Rira
March 21st, 2004, 07:53 PM
oh, yes! i hadthe most incredable dream, and ive been trying to fix it into a story since....ive had a few tries...but im close...i think i have an idea.....the dream..well, it was a terrific story! So exciting with awesome characters.....hmmmm....