View Full Version : Wild Cards

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Erfael
February 2nd, 2010, 10:49 AM
I've been thinking about this series for quite a while. This thread convinced me to go for it (which I'd have done anyway, just hadn't gotten around to it yet). But does anyone have a line on cost-effective versions of the early books in this series? I'm looking around Amazon and Abebooks, and things aren't pretty.

Werthead
February 2nd, 2010, 05:38 PM
Tor Books are reprinting the first few books as omnibuses with two or three books per volume, I believe. The first one, with a couple of new stories, is due to be published in late 2010 or early 2011, I believe.

I know a couple of UK publishers have looked at and decided not to pursue publishing the Wild Cards series, so for the time being we're probably stuck with US imports.

PeterWilliam
February 3rd, 2010, 09:57 PM
Tor Books are reprinting the first few books as omnibuses with two or three books per volume, I believe.

Well, look at that. Bump an old thread and Wert-Claus brings Christmas early.

Omnibus? For both of us?

Bastard
December 9th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I just ordered Wild Cards 1, which just go republished with some new stories.
http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Cards-I-Card/dp/0765326159/ref=sr_1_1_title_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1291909647&sr=1-1

My question is, does anyone has any further news of what Tor's plans are for the series, in particular with the early books? Which books do they plan on re-releasing?

From what I can see, they're not releasing Omnibuses... just updated versions of what has already been published. Some clarification would be appreciated.

Werthead
December 9th, 2010, 11:08 AM
The original thought was omnibuses, but it appears that Tor decided to go with single-volume releases instead, which is potentially a little silly (they could have packed three books into one omnibus edition with no problem) since they have 16 books to catch up on.

At the moment Tor are reprinting the first three and looking at how they do. If they do well, the rest will follow. UK publishers are keeping an eye on how they sell and may follow suit.

ginshun
December 9th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I was just browsing amazon.co.uk, and as well as noting that book 5 of ASoIaF's due next month,

Anybody else find it funny that the above statement was written 6 1/2 years ago?

Roland 85
January 1st, 2011, 03:32 AM
I have been thinking of jumping into this series, so I was wondering if anybody knows anything about the reprints of the original books. I have ordered the first one, but I see nothing about the next.

Also, as much as I'd like to, I just know I won't be able to go through the whole series before I lose interest, so I was wondering if jumping from the first to the new ones would mean missing a lot of refferences?

Bastard
January 1st, 2011, 04:57 AM
I have been thinking of jumping into this series, so I was wondering if anybody knows anything about the reprints of the original books. I have ordered the first one, but I see nothing about the next.

Also, as much as I'd like to, I just know I won't be able to go through the whole series before I lose interest, so I was wondering if jumping from the first to the new ones would mean missing a lot of refferences?
I think the info a couple of posts above this one is as good as we're going to get for the time being.

Marian Perera
January 1st, 2011, 05:17 AM
Has anyone read these? How many volumes are there? Is the series complete? What did people think?

I'm slightly biased because the series has a Sri Lankan character, and I'm originally from Sri Lanka. Even though he's relatively minor, I have never before seen any such character in speculative fiction.

But I also like the grittiness of the story and the fact that there are so many mutations which are simply useless or ineffective.

Sonja Ravenscroft
January 1st, 2011, 09:45 AM
I haven't read past the first 2 or 3-not because I didn't want to, but just didn't get time. It certainly is something different, and some good writing and creativity-I agree about "outdoing" one another and got a bit much, but what I read was certainly creative.