PDA

View Full Version : Who else here is writing a novel rather than a short story?


SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum


Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Jamza1986
March 27th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Just wondering what type of fiction people are writing.

Miriamele
March 27th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Right now I'm working on the first book in a three-book fantasy series. I have the first 35 chapters outlined but only the first 9 actually written. It's the first novel I've ever written--previously I've only written short stories.

I find a novel is more challenging to write because it's generally more complex than a story. In mine, I write from the POV of 4 separate characters, with their stories interweaving. However I enjoy working on a novel much more than a stories, because I find I am able to develop my characters to a much deeper level than is really possible in a story.

Of course, some people write smashing stories that are quite short, but I'm just not cut out for that type of writing. My mind thinks more in the long term.

Welcome to the forums, James. :)

Jacquin
March 27th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Hi James

Welcome to SFF!

At the moment I am writing neither... I have a few shorts that I am happy with and a half finished novel that has died for the moment. I have the beginings of a spec-fic novel bouncing round in my mind but it'll be a while before I sit down to start writing it because I am currently researching a non-fiction work about the life and works of one of England's greatest swordsmen.

I'm finding out all sorts of things I never knew and also I'm constantly more amazed about the levels of information that survive from the C16th...

J

JRMurdock
March 27th, 2004, 03:43 PM
I've written 3 books (at 60K each of the fantasy genre) and am well into the fouth in a series. I've plotted out the entire story line. I'm taking a short break from the books right now to do a massive edit to all 3 currently completed as well as spending some time on short stories to tighten up my writing.

So far I've written 18 short stories this year (9 Sci-fi, 4 fantasy, 1 horror, and 4 fiction). I like doing short stories because I've discovered (when I really put my mind to it) I can write a 4k-6k short story in about 2-3 hours. When I start, I usually have a begining and end and the character(s) write the middle for me. For example, I just wrote (day before yesterday) a story entitled Dragon Slayer?. I had the begining and end and even the main character... BUT a sub character poked his head in there and became my main character. It was odd.

Once I finish editing my three books (I'm doing the shorts to keep up my daily writing) I'll be submitting to Tor. I've submitted the book to 4 other publishing companies and 3 agents. I think I'm going to be closer this time being that I've drastically update my prose and tightened up not only loose plot lines, but also strengthened weak (and poorly worded) sentences. I'm actually excited to submit it again. :) Plus spending the time writing shorts has built my confidence that I can pump out a book (at 60K) in about a month's time. I do plan (once I finish out this series) to try my hand at a real Epic novel (150K+) but for now, I like my fast-paced books. They're a blast to write and (after a year) even more fun to read again.

Oh, back to short stories (and to toot my own horn again) I've had 3 published so far. I got 2 rejections this past week and I'm reviewing those stories as well and I'll be shipping them out on Monday with the 3 stories I did this week (actually two of the three as I sent one via e-mail to a contest). Being that the short stories not only come back quicker, I've gotten actual written responses each time they've been rejected. It's comforting to know that some one actually took the time to READ my submission -vs- a form letter.

So I guess to answer your question, I'm doing both...:D

Holbrook
March 27th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Jacquin
Hi James

Welcome to SFF!

At the moment I am writing neither... I have a few shorts that I am happy with and a half finished novel that has died for the moment. I have the beginings of a spec-fic novel bouncing round in my mind but it'll be a while before I sit down to start writing it because I am currently researching a non-fiction work about the life and works of one of England's greatest swordsmen.

I'm finding out all sorts of things I never knew and also I'm constantly more amazed about the levels of information that survive from the C16th...

J


Oooooooohhhhhh, is that the swordsman I think it is.... A Master of Defense *g* Book or a series of articles... if a book there are a number of small presses that would be interested....

Holbrook
March 27th, 2004, 04:06 PM
As to my own writing...

One 85,000 word novel light, tongue in cheek fantasy, submitted to the Lichfield Prize 2004, don't think it will make it to the short list, as it is an open comp for all types of genre. Still any feed back will be welcome.

If it doesn't make it, the work has been re-edited and the length increased to 92,000 words... it will go out if the work fails.

One large monster of a story, 200,000 words and counting being re-edited ready for submission to a NY agent...

I have three serious outlines done, all fairly complete. The worlds/culture detailed etc, the characters created and the main points in the story mapped. All I need is the time to write them *g*

Time, is the key, finding time between work and home life when I am able to write. I have health problems, which means often I am too tired to do more than browse and think about writing

Jacquin
March 27th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Holbrook

Oooooooohhhhhh, is that the swordsman I think it is.... A Master of Defense *g* Book or a series of articles... if a book there are a number of small presses that would be interested....

A Gentleman certainly but not a Master, that would have been beneath him... :D Yeah It's him, who else would I be that enthusiastic about?

A book rather than articles. I'd like to publish it in its own right, not as part of another publictaion. I've tracked down some quite interesting things about him and his family that I don't think are common knowledge adn I've got a couple of very promising sources for more. Added to my thoughts on his system I think it'd be a very interesting book. PM me, I'd be interested to chat about possible publishers... :)

Take Care

J

user123
March 28th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Lately I've been re-working a short story I have post here into a full novel. Got the first 4 chapters done, hope to complete it in another few months. That's if my day (rather night) job doesn't get in the way, to much OT lately.

Holbrook
March 28th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Jacquin


A Gentleman certainly but not a Master, that would have been beneath him... :D Yeah It's him, who else would I be that enthusiastic about?

A book rather than articles. I'd like to publish it in its own right, not as part of another publictaion. I've tracked down some quite interesting things about him and his family that I don't think are common knowledge adn I've got a couple of very promising sources for more. Added to my thoughts on his system I think it'd be a very interesting book. PM me, I'd be interested to chat about possible publishers... :)

Take Care

J

Done. Have narrowed it down to four that I think are very suitable for the subject.....

Cephus
March 28th, 2004, 02:03 PM
I don't do short stories. My idea of a short story is 60k words. ;) Seriously, every time I've done something short, I've been dissatisfied with it and expanded it to novel size. I just don't like being restricted to just a few thousand words when there is always a bigger, better story that I want to tell.

Then again, I hate reading short stories as well.