PDA

View Full Version : Returner

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Gregg Bradley
March 29th, 2004, 11:24 AM
I first went to Amazon.com to take a look at this movie, thinking it was British. To my surprise...it turns out that it is a Japanese movie made in 2002.

I took a chance, from the reviews, that it was an average sci-fi movie and bought it. When I finally got the movie two days ago, I expected the same old trashy Godzilla, Rodan type movies.

Even though, by accident, i watched it in the English subtitles,(you can view it dubbed in English), I was very surprised at the quality of the special effects and the actors abilties.

The character, "Milly", who comes from a destroyed Earth civilization in the year 2084, and goes back in time to 2002, was very well portrayed.

My question is, am I the only one out there, who thinks this movie is great? To me it was like the Matrix meets ET the Extro!

kahnovitch
April 20th, 2004, 09:21 AM
I got this film out a couple of days ago as it was in the new releases section at blockbuster (shows you how far behind we are the Japanese in the UK :o )

I rented purely because I remembered this thread (cheers btw Gregg :) )

Pretty decent film with an interesting mix of ideas. Elements of the Matrix, ET, Aliens and even Transformers.
It's sort like a manga movie with real actors.

I found it quite refreshing from the usual SF and worth watching.

Gregg Bradley
April 20th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by kahnovitch

Pretty decent film with an interesting mix of ideas. Elements of the Matrix, ET, Aliens and even Transformers.
It's sort like a manga movie with real actors.

I found it quite refreshing from the usual SF and worth watching.

I'm glad you liked it. i too was very surprised at the graphics and storyline. Interesting to see a japanese version of Keano Reeves. At least he didn't die at the end like the last matrix movie!

kahnovitch
April 20th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Gregg Bradley

Interesting to see a japanese version of Keano Reeves.

He was a cool character, not as wooden as Keanu and with a healthy amount of cynicism rather than the bemused childish innocence of Neo.
Plus it was nice to see a tough female lead who was still very feminine, rather than the usual "I'm tough but still dead sexy with all my frowning and pouting in tight leather" that has become the norm for females in films like T3, Underworld, the Matrix and just about every female lead these days. :rolleyes:

Gregg Bradley
April 21st, 2004, 08:23 AM
I fully agree with you, Kahnovitch,

The "Milly" character was very refreshing! At least she was a "normal-- off the streets" type kid and not some trussed up vixon with a model face and figure. Her character was believable and not a "Milli-Vanilli".:D

Milli reminded me of a real life Japanese Animation heroine. She made the movie and with a not too cooperative(MiaMoto) male hero who was an avenging street tough and had no time for her wild story,--convincing him that she was really from the future was priceless.

The ending came to a big surprise too! You don't see an ending like that every day!