View Full Version : Hey i build computers

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

EscapeFromLife4
March 30th, 2004, 01:22 PM
I was wondering if anyone here builds their own computers and is really into hardcore gaming online?

Joe

Dominus
March 30th, 2004, 06:35 PM
I've built two computers, neither of them were mine though, I don't have enough money to buy all the stuff I want in mine. Guess I'm going to have to wait until I start a real job. :D

kahnovitch
March 31st, 2004, 06:21 AM
I built my first PC over 3 years ago. At the time the fastest CPU on the block was 800mhz and cost about 180. The biggest hard drive you could get was 20 gigs. Gives you some idea of how things have progressed. :eek:

I recently upgraded it and gave it to my GF and built a new one for myself.
Not into online gaming much these days though, due to a my crappy dial-up and rather high "ping".
:(

fluffy bunny
March 31st, 2004, 11:35 AM
I built my own a few years back. Still not upgraded it yet as it still runs pretty much all of todays games at at least medium detail (knew that getting a comp running at least X-box spec would last me a while), and there really hasn't been a release that's excited me enough to upgrade the thing

As for the online gaming thing, been there done that. Tactical ops kept me going for a while, but playing games on networks against people you know is a lot more satisfying. Otherwise you may as well be playing computer opponents

fortytwo
March 31st, 2004, 12:10 PM
There's not much point in having a son and building computers yourself:)

Dominus
March 31st, 2004, 01:04 PM
Dial-up!? You poor barbarian, I really do feel for you. :( That is probably one of the best things about consoles, no matter what game you buy for it, your console can run it, as the developer meant you to. :)

They just had the 10th Anniversary Edition of PC Gamer this month, and had a few articles about things they wrote about when they first started.

PC Gamer 1994: Dream Machine (these are the machines that everyone drools over, usually costing above $3,000)

Pentium 90
16MB RAM
540MB HD......lol, you can see where that's going. :D

DarthV
April 1st, 2004, 06:43 AM
My first selfbuilt PC was back when the first pentiums hit the market :)

Just about to do another upgrade... abit nf7-s mobo, athlonxp 2400/2500+ mobile cpu and a couple 512mb sticks of pc3200 ddr ram. I'll see how far I can OC the beast.

Dominus
April 1st, 2004, 06:57 AM
Any reason you aren't getting the new AMD 64 chips?

Obtuse
April 1st, 2004, 12:47 PM
I built the computer I'm using now, but that was several years ago. To give you an idea how old this machine is, it's running on a Pentium 2 350 Mhz and only has an 8 Gig hard drive. The good news, however, is that either today or tomorrow I should be recieving a new motherboard and processor (Pentium 4 1.8 Ghz). As you might expect, I'm quite excited.

As for gaming, I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means. I do like to play a couple of games though. Now that my system will be able to handle it, I'm looking forward to playing GTA Vice City. I played GTA 3 and loved it. I'm also anxiously awaiting the release of Thief: Deadly Shadows. I played the first 2 Thief games and they were the most enjoyable games I've ever played.

BTW, Kahn, I remember all too well the horrors of dial-up, so I'll be praying for you.

DarthV
April 2nd, 2004, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Dominus
Any reason you aren't getting the new AMD 64 chips?

I'm through with staying on the bleeding edge of the CPU game... it hurts the wallet way way too much for the gains you get. Lately I've been buying on the sweet spot of the price-performance curve :)

I can get the 2400+ mobile, nf7-s and maybe both sticks of RAM for the same cost of the slowest 64bit AMD CPU. I'm planning to OC the chip until it almost smokes, so I should be getting close to 3400+ type performance out of the new rig...at a nice low cost.

And right now, there aren't many applications (let alone OSs) that would really take advantage of a 64bit CPU. They don't run 2x as fast, just have have more registers and the ability to address more than 4GB of ram... for working with very large files (or memory arrays), then sure the amd64 would be the way to go...but for what I'm going to use it for (gaming!!), it's not much of an advantage.