PDA

View Full Version : Reeves to star in A Scanner Darkly

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

emohawk
March 30th, 2004, 05:50 PM
I saw this on SciFi Wire (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/) and thought it may be of interest to some people.

Keanu Reeves will star in A Scanner Darkly, based on a Philip K. Dick novel, for Warner Independent Pictures, Variety reported. Richard Linklater (School of Rock) is in talks to direct, the trade paper reported. George Clooney and Steven Soderbergh's Section 8 will produce.

A Scanner Darkly will employ the same technology Linklater used in Waking Life: It will be shot live-action, then animated, the trade paper reported.

The story takes place in the future, where undercover agents change their faces along with their identities. Reeves plays one such officer, and his liberal ingestion of the drug Substance D causes him to develop a split personality, the trade paper reported.

A Scanner Darkly has been kicking around hollywood for years with great names such as Terry Gilliam and Charlie Kauffman attached and it looks like it's finally getting made, but not with any input from these potentially great creative artists.

Firstly: Let me say do we really need another PKD movie? As much as I'd like to see a good movie of this novel, the chances are pretty slim that it's going to be any good. If I'm not mistaken the current tally of movies from PKD stories stands at 7. Come on people, it's not like he's the only SF writer out there! I'm not sure I can think of another SF writer that's had more than 2 movies made from his stories (remakes don't count), Yet we've had 3 PKD movies in the last 2 or so years alone.

Secondly: Keanu Reeves??? I mean what are they thinking? "It involves drugs so we'd better get a guy who can go 'whoa!' really well". I'm sorry but ol' Keanu just doesn't have the acting ability to project the sense of schizophrenia and dislocation felt by the main character.

Thirdly: George Clooney and Steven Soderbergh's Section 8 will produce. Soderbergh has already said he hates SF and they've proven with Solaris what they can do when they get their hands on a SF movie with the intent of taking the SF out. What's with the current trend of trying to make SF movies with as many of the SF elements taken out as possible? The audiences that want to see this sort of thing aren't complete retards (an optimistic hope, I know) so why try and dumb it down?

Finally: The bit about it being shot live action then animated. I haven't seen Waking Life yet, aside from the trailer, but this could a cool way of doing it. It would have to be done really well to pull it off successfully though. I would have thought a mixture of the live action and animated would be more effective, but we'll have to wait and see I guess.

Any comments/disagreements welcome.

Gregg Bradley
March 30th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Before i agree or disagree with you, I would have to see this new movie, called "A Scanner Darkly". ( Sounds interesting or is this gonna be another Matrix type movie?)

Another short story by Philip K. Dick called, "Second Variety" was turned into a major motion picture called, "Screamers' which is one of my favorites.
Since we are on the subject of movies and since i posted a thread with no responses under tv and movies, did anyone see and like the Japanese movie, "Returner"?

SCCCCRRRREEEEEEEEECCCCCHHHHH!!!

OH NO! NOT ANOTHER SCREAMER TYPE MOVIE!! MY SCANNER IS GETTING DARKLY!!!

trentdick2882
March 30th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Well, chances are, this wouldn't be a major motion picture type release, right? I mean, how many people have seen Waking Life? (i didn't even hear anything about it until i saw it on DVD and bought it) A Scanner Darkly happens to be my favorite PKD book, and also one of my favorite books period, so I kind of cringe at the Reeves news, I was hoping for Depp (dreaming). But at least we don't really have to see Keanu, it's just crazy animation over top of him.

A Scanner Darkly is definitely nothing like the Matrix. There aren't that many SF elements in it really. It's a book about human identity and drug culture in the 60's/70's. Which is why they should have used Kaufmann's script!!!!

I can't remember if this was posted somewhere on here or not. But here's a short preview that a graphics company made that wanted to do a CG A Scanner Darkly...

http://www.rustmonkey.com/

You have to click on the A Scanner Darkly portion once you get into the site.

BTW, did anyone read the Kaufmann script? It was almost identical to the book, which is awesome. I have it somewhere on my computer.

emohawk
March 30th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I read it. It's good - starts out really well. I found my interest wavering towards the end though which is a bad sign. Especially considering the book didn't have that effect on me. I'll check out that rustmonkey site now too, thanks.

I looks like it will be a fairly major release considering who's involved. Waking Life was more of an arthouse film but it's just using similar technology to that film, not being made by the same people. Thats why I think a mix of live-action and animation would be better, probably get a lot more people willing to watch it than just straight animation.

kahnovitch
March 31st, 2004, 06:27 AM
Sounds a bit matrixy, but then a lot of Dick's work dealt with the ideas of reality/unreality etc.

"Keanu Reeves develops a split personality"?

Try developing a personality first mate! :p ;)

Mugwump
March 31st, 2004, 08:42 AM
For point one: A Scanner Darkly is quite unlike most other PKD works so there's no real problem of overindulgence IMO. Not that that many PKD books have stayed true to the original concept once they've been transferred to celluloid.

For point two: I must say that I hadn't thought about Reeves in the role, but the idea is growing on me. In fact, Reeves's laid back persona seems remarkably similar to that of Bob Arctor.

For point three: I thought Soderbergh did a great job with Solaris. In any event, there really isn't much 'SF' in ASD.

For point four: Waking Life is a superb piece of work and if ASD turns out to be anywhere near as good, I'll be happy.

ironchef texmex
April 1st, 2004, 03:15 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by trentdick2882
[B] A Scanner Darkly happens to be my favorite PKD book, and also one of my favorite books period, so I kind of cringe at the Reeves news, I was hoping for Depp (dreaming).

I couldn't agree more! I recently listed this one on the recommendations thread. Its the only novel that ever had me with the first sentence. Best hook line ever! I've been waiting for them to turn this one into a movie and yes, it gets a little muddled later on, but don't all of Dick's stuff (Ever red the rerelease of The Unteleported Man?).

If they really do it right they'll give the story some closure this time - maybe an add-on where the hero gets some of his marbles back and tries to break out of the rehab center from hell.

But as you say, If Clooney and company are doing it..... Maybe not.

trentdick2882
April 1st, 2004, 03:48 PM
if they change the ending i will refuse to see the movie! the ending is awesome, and has to stay that way or that other awesome scene with Donna at the end won't mean near as much. they better not change much, i know linklauter is actually a PKD fan (after all he does talk about PKD in Waking Life) so maybe he won't change things as much as other PKD movie adaptations.

trentdick2882
June 15th, 2004, 08:14 AM
http://www.philipkdick.com/films_scanner-061204.html

i'm very excited. everyone fits the role really well except reeves, but i think he has the potential to do a good job with it. i probably would have preferred them using independent actors for everyone, but i can definitely live with this casting if the script is good and sticks with the book.