View Full Version : Folks who tell stories are often stranger than fiction

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Rocket Sheep
March 31st, 2004, 07:46 AM
I borrowed these facts from Ideomancer's About Us page. I thought they were... well... quite dark and baffling really:

"On a late afternoon in 1970, Yukio Mishima, one of Japan's greatest storytellers, scratched the last character on the last page of his last book then serenely disemboweled himself. He often mentioned his "heart's leaning toward Death and Night and Blood," so no one paying attention was particularly surprised.

Leo Tolstoy fell into a religious delirium, handed his fortune over to his wife, announced that he would ever after live under her as a peasant then died in a wintry railroad station after quarreling with her.

At thirty-four, Marcel Proust closed the door of a soundproof room, spent his remaining years in utter isolation writing Remembrance of Things Past then passed into history himself.

Ambrose Bierce went off to Mexico in search of "the good, kind darkness" and was never heard from again."

kahnovitch
March 31st, 2004, 08:07 AM
And your question is.... ?

Radthorne
March 31st, 2004, 08:27 PM
*** Makes note to self to send email to Rocketsheep: "Perhaps reconsider rushing to finish that latest manuscript... You never know what bad things may befall you..." ***

Rocket Sheep
March 31st, 2004, 08:30 PM
The question is: Why?

Which came first, the madness or the desire to write?

Did one cause the other?

Does one enhance the other?

Aren't there any postcards in Mexico?

Invent you own questions. Do I have to do everything around here?

:rolleyes:

Rocket Sheep
March 31st, 2004, 08:33 PM
Don't worry Radthorne, if I see any disemboweling, religious deliriums, soundproof rooms or Mexico coming, I'll run away!

tingmakpuk
March 31st, 2004, 09:19 PM
Madness first.

What sane person offers their sweat and tears -- their offspring -- to others knowing that they face astronomically high odds of rejection? Who would send their offspring into the world, knowing critics will pick and pull and defile it?

And then who would smile and say, let's do that again?

JRMurdock
March 31st, 2004, 11:09 PM
I agree. Writing or being a writer is madness itself. The ability to conjur up multiple characters, put them in multiple settings and have things happen to those people (aliens, etc.) is madness. It's been said that if you imagine something vividly (my word for the day) enough, your brain will think it's real. I don't know about the rest of you, but my characters are VERY real as is the world they live in. Each character also has a small part of me in them. Does that mean I have multiple personalities?

Yes?

Who said that?

huh?

Madness, that was the topic.

I thought it was padded rooms?

Don't you have a story to write?

Oh yeah.

Expendable
April 1st, 2004, 06:14 AM
Now why would anyone think writers are strange?

Constantly bent over tables scribbling things down on scraps of paper muttering to ourselves, holding conversations and arguing with people who aren't there, plotting murders and making up languages, histories and cultures and surprising everyone about knowing about ancient roman and medieval societies and and lying to friends and family about that character being anything like them.... >.<

...not to mention our favorite places to be is in book stores and libraries, craving stationery and reading dictionaries...

kahnovitch
April 1st, 2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Rocket Sheep
The question is: Why?

I'm curious as to how many of those people you mentioned died penniless? As a lot of authors, artists, composers became famous best sellers etc after their deaths, but lived lives of abject poverty.

Rocket Sheep
April 1st, 2004, 09:03 AM
What? Are you suggesting they thought there might be money in the arts? They were madder than I thought!

[homer simpson]Mmmmmm... stationery[/homer simpson]