PDA

View Full Version : Help with ATI Radeon 9800

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

EscapeFromLife4
March 31st, 2004, 03:26 PM
Hey guys i just finished my computer and I have a vision tek ati radeon 9800 vid card. Right now every time i try and play a game it freezes and then it automatically shuts down. THe message says "VPU was not responding to Graphic driver so it was shut down" The video card works for everything else like dvd movies and stuff. Anyone else have this problem? Do you know how to fix it?
Thanks
Joe

Dominus
March 31st, 2004, 03:36 PM
LOL, update your drivers then go to the ATI website or the site for the game that is messing up and look up that message, LOL.

EscapeFromLife4
March 31st, 2004, 09:35 PM
Hey well its not just one game its all and any games and besides that i have updated drivers i tried that so im wondering if anyone else got an xpert vision ATI radeon 9800 se vid card and had problems with it at first and what they did to fix it. K thanks
Joe

milamber_reborn
April 1st, 2004, 12:13 AM
Take the card out, diconnect the monitor. Put it all back. Upgrade DirectX, motherboard drivers, Catalysts (Omega Drivers are worth a try too).

kahnovitch
April 1st, 2004, 07:06 AM
I had a similar prob with my ATI Radeon 9800se AIW, except that every time I tried to play anything, the HDD froze and had to be rebooted.
The prob with mine was the graphics card was on the same PSU cable as my primary hard drive. 9800 cards take a lot of juice and my hard disk would shut down everytime I booted up a game as they were both on the same cable feed.

Not the same thing, but worth a look as you seem to be only getting the trouble with games.

For more advise try

techimo.com (http://www.techimo.com/). It's the best tech site I've seen and if you search the forum you may find something similar has already been posted. Failing that register and post a query.

DarthV
April 1st, 2004, 07:38 AM
Yea, your power supply might not be up to snuff in delivering enough power to your entire system... a good quality 300w power supply woul dbe the minimum you should be looking at for a modern gaming rig.

A couple things you can also check...is AGP fast writes enabled? And what AGP mode is your box running at? I would disable fast writes and see if lowering the AGP speed and see if that helps.

EscapeFromLife4
April 1st, 2004, 10:09 PM
thanks guys for the advice. I think you may be right about the poewr thing cause i got like 3 things plugged in off the same power strand even though i got a 400 w power supply. Do the sell seperate power supplies just for vid cards that I could install?? Thanks for advice i'll look into that. CAuse my pc also has reset a couple of times............It freezes and then it'll either reset or it will shut down the game.

Joe

Oh one more thing i forgot. Umm yeah i bought like a 6 dollar modem off of some site from price watch but i have no driver for it and its a pci modem thats not plug and play so it wont detect it.... Anyways the modem is a NetoDragon V.92 56k Modem If anyone has that driver or could find it for me i'd be much obliged.... Oh by the way my os is XP HOME

And after these two problems my computer will be perfect.....

kahnovitch
April 2nd, 2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by EscapeFromLife4
thanks guys for the advice. I think you may be right about the poewr thing cause i got like 3 things plugged in off the same power strand even though i got a 400 w power supply.

Exactly what was wrong with mine and I have a 350watt PSU. I unplugged the radeon from the strand it was on (which was running two fans aswell) and put on the same one as one of my dvd drives. It sorted the problem out straight away.

For the modem driver try this (http://www.netodragon.com/downloadpage.htm)link.

EscapeFromLife4
April 2nd, 2004, 02:15 PM
Hey i got the driver the problem is the way its setup i dont know how to tell windows that its there i tried loading on a disc but its compressed in a .rar file. ... then i unzip it and try to put it on a disk but it doesn't work. is there anyway i can install a driver without going to new hardware and get the computer to actually recognize it and the modem.

Joe

Oh by the way...The radeon card came with a plug with two ends
One plug was for the card and the other two im guessing were to plug into the power strand.....Do they both have to be plugged in or just one....One was a male plug the other female....I just figured you plugged in the one that fit to your power source