View Full Version : Oh the Irony...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

JRMurdock
April 2nd, 2004, 04:30 PM
So I'm happily reading the Da Vinci Code. Great book, I highly recomend it. when I came across my pet peeve word.

irony

*sigh* doesn't anyone know how to use this word? Authors LOVE this word, but seldom do I see it used properly. Even the famous song by Alannis had the word used wrong over and over and over.

Irony: The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning

The Dictionary (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=irony)

The irony usually is people use this word for a different meaning, usually an odd coincidence. Irony is NOT rain on your wedding day. That's unfortunate.

So now that I've ranted, what's YOUR pet peeve word? What word grinds on your skin every time you see it used (right or wrong)?

ironchef texmex
April 2nd, 2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by maus99

*sigh* doesn't anyone know how to use this word? Authors LOVE this word, but seldom do I see it used properly. Even the famous song by Alannis had the word used wrong over and over and over.

Even? Were you expecting a higher level of grammatical usage from Alanis?

I have two pet peeve words at the moment, one in general and one specific to fantasy.

Ostensibly - okay people, it means seemingly or apparently and even on the rare occasions when I do see it used correctly it still doesn't suddenly make me think the writer is a genius for knowing the word. Nice try.

Zombie - I've read stories where the writer has ostensibly (aaaaaahhhhh! Now I'm doing it) done his homework. Everything in the little made-up world comes straight from the middle ages. Eeeeverything except zombie, which didn't find its way into English until the 1940's (from Africa) and is NOT what the middle age European-types called the undead.

tingmakpuk
April 2nd, 2004, 07:54 PM
Penultimate.

God help me if someone uses that again when they mean ultimate. It's ironic, really. People should ostensibly know what the word means. :D

Chade
April 2nd, 2004, 08:25 PM
Well, I don't know which written words bother me, but the pronunciation of the word "especially". When someone says it like "ex-pecially". It makes me cringe every time.

choppy
April 2nd, 2004, 09:24 PM
Or when someone wants to "axe" or "aks" a question.

tingmakpuk
April 2nd, 2004, 09:27 PM
Okay, is it just an Alaskan thing, or does 'supposedly' become 'supposably' everywhere?

Holbrook
April 3rd, 2004, 03:51 AM
Irony. It also can be partly a cultural thing.

Believe me I know, the British have a whole sense of humour based on word. Often what strikes us as funny in an ironic way goes totally over the heads of others.

Sarcasm, this again is part of the British culture, refined to an art form. I often find many writers/editors/agents would not know a sarcastic phrase if it came up and bit them in the bum.

James Barclay
April 5th, 2004, 05:13 AM
'Not.'

When used in the Wayne's World-type context, such as: 'I think she's a babe. Not.'

Why, oh why, do people feel they have to explain that they are being ironic? I understand tone of voice, I have a mind, you don't have to qualify it for me. Please let me draw the conclusion for myself... (mutter, mutter, curse etc).

NOM

Miriamele
April 5th, 2004, 07:33 AM
horrible/horribly

terrible/terribly

These words have a vague meaning and should be left out. I can't stand it when authors use them in exposition. Micheal Stackpole is really bad for that--he's always saying things like "The creature hissed terribly" or "His shoulder ached horribly." Not necessary--can a beast hiss pleasantly? or a shoulder ache enjoyably? Just leave that nasty little adverb out.

kegasaurus
April 5th, 2004, 07:53 AM
]