SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Loras Tyrell
April 20th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Hi.

Iím taking a course on computer games this semester, comparing and contrasting computer games with their counterparts in other media, like books, films, cartoons and so on.

Iím working on the exam paper now, and have encountered one problem. My chosen body of work(s) is(/are) the Lord of the Rings - Return of the King. Now, Iíve read the books (many times) and seen the film, and I have bought the game. And hereís the obstacle.

To be perfectly honest, I canít stand these sort of games. Theyíre all hackíníslash and very little else. I also suck at them:D. I am now at a juncture in time where I simply cannot afford to neither muster the energy and patience, nor spend the time required to beat this game. And this is where you come in (hopefully:)).

And I need to at least have a look at all the different levels, since my paper revolves around which elements of traditional literature/film can be carried over to the game medium.

So if anyone could help me with any of the following things, I would be thankful.

1) Supply me with cheats (or anything else that can help me at least get access to all the levels) that work before youíve beaten the game fair and square.

2) Tell me if there are any points in the game in which you are required/able to do anything other than fight (talk, solve puzzles, strategize, etc.)

Any answers appreciated!

Greetings

kahnovitch
April 20th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Loras, you are unbeliveable.
Not only have you got a peachy exam "assignment" which involves watching fantasy films, reading books and playing games, but you're too lazy to actually do the work! :eek:

Plus you can't even be bothered to look around on the web for cheats for it. :rolleyes:

However if you want to mail me your copy of the game, I'd be happy to play it and give you my thoughts. :D

Dominus
April 20th, 2004, 12:24 PM
You're a sly one Kahn. :D

I take it you're talking about the PC, so here's this (http://cheatcc.com/pc/lordotrtrotk.html), no level code, but if you can't get to the next level while invincible....

Loras Tyrell
April 21st, 2004, 06:19 AM
Thanks, Dominus, but here's the problem:

Note: The following codes only work once you have finished the game.

And I can't finish the game.

Kahn, I have found cheat codes, but as you see, they don't work until you've bested the game yourself (so what are the point of them then?)

Greetings
Artaxiad

Dominus
April 21st, 2004, 10:42 AM
Hehe, oops, didn't read that....sorry. :D

kahnovitch
April 21st, 2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Loras Tyrell

Kahn, I have found cheat codes, but as you see, they don't work until you've bested the game yourself (so what are the point of them then?)

Does seem a bit pointless actually, but then using cheats in games always seemed pointless to me as the challenge is basically what makes a game worth playing in the first place.

Besides exams are supposed to be about hard work, not finding someone else to do them for you, so stop being so lazy and play that damned game, in the name of education!

Dominus
April 21st, 2004, 11:10 AM
Tell him kahn! Loras.....you are too funny, you have to play games, watch movies, and read, and won't do it! I do those all the time for fun! Damn, I wish I had had exams like that in school, I would have actually done them. :D

Bond
April 21st, 2004, 12:04 PM
Too bad you picked LotR. You shouldn't have had any problems playing the game if you had chosen Star Wars. SW:KOTOR is good!

:)

Evil Agent
April 23rd, 2004, 09:32 PM
The Hobbit game by Sierra is a bit more interactive, but still a lot of physical jumping and collecting coins and jewels, as you move through the story of the Hobbit book... but for Sierra, it's still a bit light on the talking/problem solving, it's more like a big maze.

Loras Tyrell
April 25th, 2004, 06:21 AM
Bond: Yes, in retrospect, that would probably have been a more suitable choice for me.

Kahn and Dom: For one thing, I've read the books half a dozen times and watched the movies several. The problem isn't that I won't play the game, it's the fact that I can't beat it. Secondly, I hadn't played the EA Games TT or RotK before, and so didn't know that they were chemically free of anything other than button-smashing.

And it's not like I have to beat the game to pass the exam. It's a matter of seeing what all the levels are like, to see how FMV's and cut-scenes are used, to see if gameplay changes at any point and so on. And since my exam is due tomorrow, I don't have time to become a hack'n'slash superhero.

EA (the SFFworld afficionado, not the multimedia conglomerate): Thanks, but as I said, I've got until tomorrow, so I don't really think I'll start a new game today :).

Anyway, it all worked out. So don't worry your pretty little heads about it any more.

Greetings
Artaxiad