View Full Version : Board Game?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Tasnek
April 21st, 2004, 02:39 AM
Alright, I've posted on ehre before (not in a long time though) and some (probably not many) may have heard me talking about my novel titled "The Board Game: Dawn of the Demons". It is titled this because my friend had made uup a game, aptly titled "The Board Game" which was like a very interactive D&D. It had plot, twists around every corner, and the world he conjured was simply the most creative I had ever heard of. I got his permission, and decided to write a book about it, jumping into first person views of characters I had played as.
Well, in my book, there is no standing evidence that this is actually a game. And it shouldn't. So I decided to change the first part of the title...problem is, I can't seem to come up with one that is unique enough to grasp you in that way that makes you say "Aha! That's an awesome title for a fantasy world" Perhaps you might call it a writers bock in the "title of a book" sense? Anyways, any input on an idea for a name to replace"The Board Game" would be well appreciated.

James Barclay
April 21st, 2004, 03:19 AM
Do you have to have a 'first part' of the title? Why not simply drop 'The Board Game' leaving you with 'Dawn of the demons' which is pretty snappy. Not sure if it's a title used before in a book but you can always search amazon for a pretty good idea whether it has been or not.

NOM

Tasnek
April 21st, 2004, 04:08 AM
I'm almost disbelieving myself for not considering that option. Dawn of the Demons does have its own catchiness, although another issue has come up that is subtle yet nagging...for the sake of publishing, it would be MUCH easier for the readers to know which book is in relation to another

I.E. if The Sabbath War is the sequel to Dawn of the Demons, how are you supposed to know that without someone telling you this? The Board Game: Dawn of the Demons and The Board Game: The Sabbath War, signifies that these books are in direct relation with one another.

Which, unfortunately brings me back to the original problem...

James Barclay
April 21st, 2004, 08:18 AM
You can creat a series identifier that can subtitle the main title of each book. In that way you aren't drawing too much attention to the series title itself.

For instance, my trilogies are 'Chronicles of The Raven' and 'Legends of The Raven' but are always sub-titles as the individual books need to stand up for themselves, whether they are sequels or not.

GRRM's 'A Song of Ice And Fire' is also a series identifier used as subtitle. There are plenty of other examples - Robert Jordan, Steve Erikson, John Marco, all use the subtitle device.

You might then be able to leave in the 'game' reference in some way if it is important to you. For instance, 'A Story of The Game' or 'First Story of The Game'. For 'Story' you could use 'Chronicle, Tale, Novel... ' You can apply your thesaurus to any of the words in your sub-title so long as you're comfortable with the construction and what it is supposed to convey to readers beyond being a series identifier.

Obviously without knowing anything about your novels, it's difficult to suggest other titles. All I would question is that if there is nothing in the book that leads the reader to make a connection with the original 'board game', then using that term is going to be meaningless. If you're going to refer to the game in your title, you need to make sense of it within the novel.

Hope that helps.

NOM

KatG
April 21st, 2004, 11:09 AM
So you've got the title for the book, you're just trying to figure out what the series title is going to be. I was messing with this myself for the project I'm working on. I've got the title for Book 1 and potential titles for others, but no series title yet. Haven't come up with something I like yet. But I don't really have to right now. Until you are ready to market the first book, it's not really necessary to come up with a series title and even then, it's not crucial to marketing a work, since in most cases, publishers would be interested only in the first book. If they buy the work and publish it, they might even be able to come up with a series title for you, but certainly it wouldn't be strange for them to buy a first work without a series title attached.

A lot of series titles aren't titles but simply a tag, such as say, "An Honor Harrington novel" or "A Rimworld saga," etc. that lets readers know that a favorite character or world is being used again. When an author does use a series title such as "Wheel of Time" or "A Song of Ice and Fire," it's usually because they regard each book as a chapter in a longer overall work. The series title then communicates the larger goal of the whole series and usually relates to some thematic aspect of the series.

So in your case, you could keep the word "Game" and drop the board part. Maybe it could be The Great Game or The Final Game or The Unholy Game. Or, if the series has moved thematically to a different place than game-playing, you could develop a series title out of that which you feel is most important to the whole series. Eventually, you'll figure it out and you might want to get other players of the original board game, plus assorted friends, family and neighbors, to make suggestions.

Expendable
April 21st, 2004, 11:37 AM
avoid "The True Game" or "The Lands of the True Game" which was a series by Sherri Tepper unless you like meeting unpleasant men wearing expensive suits who speak a language all of their own.

Tasnek
April 21st, 2004, 03:26 PM
Thank you all for your input...very well appreciated, and I will take it all into consideration. I'd like to avoid the word "game" in the title especially...I don't quite want it to have a gamish trait (gamish?) But overall, the suggestions I'm sure have given me enough guideline to come up with a title...I'll post it whenever I figure it out.

Thanks,
-Tasnek

Tasnek
April 21st, 2004, 05:26 PM
I think I've come up with something...not entirely original but it does sound a bit catchy, tell me what you think...

The Eternal Quest: Dawn of the Demons

Something sounds a little off but I'm not sure what it is...

JRMurdock
April 21st, 2004, 08:39 PM
How about this (after reading the thread).

Dawn of the Demons: Demon's Board (or Demon's Game).

Heck, Demon's Board could be one and Demon's Game the second.

Where Dawn of the Demons is the Series title.

Just my opinion here: The Eternal Quest is too Generic.

Other working title you could use would be to reverse it.

Demon's Game: Dawn of the Demons
Demon's Game: Morning of the Demons
Demon's Game: Afternoon Tea with the Demons (just kidding)
Demon's Game: Twilight of the Demons

Tasnek
April 21st, 2004, 09:31 PM
well maus, while the input is appreciated, "Demon's Game" sounds nice but simply wouldnt apply to the third and second, as they have larger issues than demons...i dont hold anything against you, i havent given much info about my book for you to know this...but i do like the train of thought and pointing out that "eternal quest" is too cliche