PDA

View Full Version : Series

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Jamza1986
April 26th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Does anyone know the proceedure for getting series published? Do u have to submit the whole thing at once? Or jus one at a time? or do u tell the agent ur intentions? Hmm so confusing

James Barclay
April 26th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Publishers of fantasy in particular are interested in series because fantasy readers like them, but they will not in my experience expect you to have written the whole thing up front. I sold my first trilogy on the back of the manuscript for the first novel and single page synopses of the other two which had not even been started.

Your writing ability/style etc will be assessed on the strength of your original manuscript and the fact you have ideas and plans for others is a positive on your side. Indeed when I was wanting to publish, I was asked to provide ideas for the following two books befoe being signed. There are exceptions of course but fantasy publishers stand a better chance of recouping outlay over three books with a new author than with a solus, so long as they can keep the advance to a sensible level.

If you've written the whole lot, I'd doubt they'd want to see anything but the first three chapters of book one at the outset in any case. Could be wrong there but my guess is that the procedure for a single book submission should be followed but with the addition of synopses for additional planned or written novels.

NOM

Casey's Pen
April 27th, 2004, 08:44 AM
I've edited serials before. As a rule, you turn in the one book, get it accepted, then try to sell them on the series idea.

Jamza1986
April 27th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Thanks for that its a real help. By the sounds of it I should find an agent used to dealing with fantasy. I think the one I have in mind is a general one. Could you suggest someone or perhaps where I could find a good fantasy agent. I think my books have a decent chance of being published, but got to find a good agent first. Thanx again