View Full Version : Fantasy films

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

azaz
February 9th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Its seems Fantasy films are coming back in fashion. Espectally 'Lord of the Rings' and 'Harry Potter'. I'll be going to watch both of course.

Its seems Warners, and other film makers are looking into fantasy books and buying rights for films, they are hoping that those books will make hits and if enough fans for those books they may decide to make films.

For some reason I can always remember the good fantasy films I watched when I was small. And I hope these new Fantasy films will be good.

Now, which Fantasy films are you looking forward to?
and why has the film industry taken such a big interest in Fantasy, recently?

Rob B
February 9th, 2001, 08:34 AM
A couple other fantasy films in the works:
Reign of Fire later this year--Dragons return to Earth in the near future starring Mathew McConaughey
First Knight Medieval setting of Knights and squires in a jousting tournament
TV-Mists of Avalon 6hour miniseries--coming to TNT (US Cable) in July--Angelica Houston(will play Viviane, I *think) and Julianne Marguiles (ER) will be in that one
Pern--TV series in development by the guy who did some Star Trek stuff I think it will be 1 hour long

Maybe not pure fantasy but The Mummy Returns can't wait for that and LoTR the most. Hope Gandalf knocks Harry of his broom at the box office!

Part of the reason is that technology is now available to create the fantastical creatures and settings.

Another reason is that people are buying more and more Fantasy stuff--books, Video Games. Look at bestseller lists, more often there will be at least one Fantasy book on either the New York Times top 15 or extended 35.

WE WANT OUR FANTASY!!!!

Liselle
February 9th, 2001, 08:51 AM
Yes, fantasy films are wonderful, praise tecnology that makes it possible! Nevertheless, of most of the films I saw till now, I think a book is still the better solution for really getting the charming ambiente and everything... maybe it'll be different with LotR - can't wait for that one!
It seems to me that often (far too often) the directors put too much weight on their special effects, and with all of them they forget the details that make fantasy so wonderful. eg. I think you've seen 'First Knight'... in one scene, in the background there are poles and cables - that's really extraordinary for medieval circumstances! Not too believable...

cassandra
February 9th, 2001, 08:59 AM
oh god...the mists of avalon should be on FOX..."when legends turn bad" or something. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Rob B
February 9th, 2001, 10:20 AM
First Knight has to be one of THE WORST Arthurian movies ever made--c'mon Richard Gere?!?

That's One Sean Connery film that should be broken, burned and buried.

Metosblat
February 9th, 2001, 05:54 PM
FINAL FANTASY: The Spirits Within!
This movie will rule! I don't think i've ever played a Squaresoft computer game that I didn't like, hopefully they can keep their quality up for the movie.

Metosblat
February 9th, 2001, 05:56 PM
One other thing, Akira the Japanese anime is being re-released this year in cinemas. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend going to see it.

Arty
February 9th, 2001, 07:06 PM
I saw a thing on the TNT production of Mists of Avalon. I thought it looked great. Julianna Marguilles is Morgaine I think. You should check out the TNT website.

First Knight was absolutely AWFUL! and I also hated Excalibur. I wish someone would do them RIGHT!
I watched the SciFi miniseries of Dune recently I really liked it. It was MUCH better than the movie with Kyle Whatshisface and Sting.
Does anyone remember the Fox series Roar? I thought it had potential and was dissappointed when it went off the air.

Solero_58
February 9th, 2001, 09:16 PM
Metosblat, I second that. Akira is, IMO the best anime film ever made, only challenged by Ghost in the Shell... I had no idea it was being re-released though, do you think that will happen in Australia? Also, I think Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a brilliant movie, one of the best foreign films I've seen!

Pluvious
February 9th, 2001, 09:19 PM
In my opinion Excalibur was one of the best movies of all time, although if they remade it the fighting scenes could be done much better. But great acting and scenery.

To me it seems like fantasy becomes more popular as there are less real-world crisis' or events going on in the world. With less to deal with of dire need people will often turn to fantasy. Look at the time periods of fantasy movies and when they are popular if you want proof. In the early 80's fantasy was popular with Dungeons and Dragons and star wars and movies like conan and willow, etc. This was a time when Reagan was president and the country was running well economically.

Then it declined for awhile (to a degrree-this is no foolproof theory of course) with the war in the Gulf (here in US anyway). It was certainly this way during the civil war and afterward, when literature turned from romantic fiction to less idealistic writing, and this may have had a smaller affect in terms of people's reaction and enjoyment of fantasy movies or books.

Or there might not be any merrit to this theory at all...

Certainly, though, the new technology plays a role in the making of more fantasy.