PDA

View Full Version : How long will your novel be?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Jamza1986
May 10th, 2004, 12:47 PM
150,000 words has been my aim for each of the books in my planned trilogy, but I think this is short (for fantasy) and I think I might be heading over that target anyway. How long are all your masterpieces going to be?

Holbrook
May 10th, 2004, 01:45 PM
150,000 words has been my aim for each of the books in my planned trilogy, but I think this is short (for fantasy) and I think I might be heading over that target anyway. How long are all your masterpieces going to be?

The Hat Man came in at about 90,000 words.

Llafn Meistr at 240,000 now and I can see it after this edit on being about just short of 250,000!!!

A jonit project I am just starting editing (Map of the Back Side) is at the moment 99,000 words with a lot of re-writing to do and scenes to be fleshed I out, I reckon that will be about 130,000....

JRMurdock
May 10th, 2004, 03:16 PM
My first 3 books in my series came in just under 70K (my goal) and I've plotted for 18 books. My new series I'm also aiming at the 70K mark and planned for 5 books, but depending on how it goes, may be more. I've also done some initial plotting on a juvinille sci-fi that'll be roughly the same length. I enjoy writing juvinille sci-fi and fantasy, but love to read High fantasy and adult sci-fi. Writing more adult works is a bore and a chore for me at present. I'm a short story / juvinille writer. Until I get good at writing the shorter books, I'll steer clear of the bulky writes. Once I gain the experience of words and plots, I'll try my hand at more adult themes and lengthier works.

Of course, writing series fantasy, I'm sure I'll end up with a lot more words over all than a standard fantasy trilogy, but I hope my characters aren't dimensionless as is the common opinion of 'TSR' books is.

Jamza1986
May 10th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Maybe I should split each book into two. It seems I've written more than that for the first one already. Hmm... big decision.

JRMurdock
May 10th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Don't know if that's really needed. Many High Fantasy books are 200K and up. For Adult Fantasy and Sci-fi, the begining word limit most are looking for starts at 120K and as far as I know there is no upper limit. I say write the story, worry about where to split it into books later.

Mine, as I stated, is a serial (series) so I've got seperate stories for the characters to go through and each is a simple plotline. When all the stories are done, there'll be a 'grand' story that runs through all the plot lines. It just worked out nicely that way.

Jamza1986
May 11th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Yeah, the longest I've seen is magician, which is nearly 350 000 words. (Although its split into two in the States) Splitting my trilogy into two would make it a series of six, and I suppose thats a lot harder to sell than a trilogy. its also nice to make an effort and write a huge book while your at it. I have a habit of looking at the longer books in the store first, as I subconciously assume they will be better. On the other side of the arguement, I can gauge how much to put into a 100 000 word work and its a nice, compact way to write it. I think it will just depend on how my story progresses. As it is, 200 000 words is a likely estimate for the first book. My aunt, who is a publisher says that is massive and too big, but she does not publish fantasy, which tends to cater for much larger works than literary fiction. I don't want to cram my story into too short a space, either. Allowing this first book to sprawl over two volumes would, I think, give enough space for everything i want to convey. As well as that, shorter books are easier to handle, edit and get published. I can't fit a decent synopsis onto an A4 sheet, I don't think, if I leave each book so long.

As you can see, there are advantages to both methods and its really hard to choose. I guess I should keep writing and worry about it later. i'd appreciate any advice though.

Jamza1986
May 11th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Hold on, just realized, you're doing 18 books? Wow! That's a lot, and at 70 000 each, that would make it about 2 500 000 words :eek: I believe that is the size of the wheel of time series :) if u mean 70, 000 for 3 books thats about 750 000 or so, which is a tad shorter. Lol if you want a sneaky little tip for if u get them published, have the stems of the paperbacks build up a big picture. I garantee you that a few people will buy them all just so it looks nice. Lol I fell into that trap with chronicles of narnia at aged 9!

Chlestron
May 13th, 2004, 01:24 PM
I have several stories finished now and I never plan on a length, they simply are. One is 146k words, another 130k, another like 115k, and another 110k words.

Richardb
May 15th, 2004, 11:39 PM
D'rakken Mahre, my second book is 150,000 words. Shadow Mage, my first is just shy of 90,000. Frankly, the big books are easier... it is difficult at times to tell a story in a short, tight manner.