PDA

View Full Version : Contest?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

JRMurdock
May 13th, 2004, 01:21 AM
I was curious (and this'd all be for fun and not to beat anyone up) but who'd be interested in a writing contest here?

I looked and looked and sffworld doesn't have a contest. I was curious if anyone would like to participate in a contest. It'd be simple. Post the story on sffworld.com. Once all the entrants are in, put up a poll for the contest and allow perusers to vote on the story. After a specified length of time, stop the poll and announce a winner.

Any takers? There's a LOT of folks in this forum who I've seen post and post and I've not read a lick of their writing (posted here or in the writing exercises). I'd love to see this have a large number of entrants.

Hey Jacquin, I've not seen you around for a while. Is this something you'd like to set up?

Jamza1986
May 13th, 2004, 12:37 PM
You mean post it in this thread? Hmm, perhaps I could drag myself away from my novel for a while. Ok I'll do it if a few others want to

Hobbit
May 14th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Hello Maus!

Actually, we have run writing contests before - if you look through the old files you should find information on them.

To be honest, we have thought about another, and possibly soon. At the moment we've been trying to get the new Forum changes (and new staff!) sorted before launching another. As the changes settle in though, it might be worth a PM to Dag if you think it's time for another.

We might even be able to persuade Jacquin to 'do stuff' (*dangles hob nob *) :D

Hobbit

JRMurdock
May 14th, 2004, 11:57 AM
They set us up the Hob Nob!

But seriously, I can wait. Just thought I'd toss the idea out there. Contests are fun and I know there's some 'fresh meat' out there that could use a friendly competition to get the spark they need to have someone else read their work.

Thanks Hob.

Jamza1986
May 14th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Maybe we should set a word limit too. I'm thinking 3000 words max? Thats a nice short size that won't compress a story too much. I don't see why we have to w8 for mods to organise it tho, surely we can just submit our stories and have a contest. All we need is for writers to sign up here.

Jacquin
June 5th, 2004, 11:43 AM
We might even be able to persuade Jacquin to 'do stuff' (*dangles hob nob *) :D

Yeah yeah, just let me know what needs doing... ;)

Seriously though I think a contest would be a great idea. A word limit would imho be essential, I'd even consider making it very small and have a flash fiction competition.

Thoughts?

Jamza1986
June 6th, 2004, 07:23 AM
If someone sets out the rules quickly I'd be happy to, flash fiction is a good idea. Lets either sort it or forget it though. Ok, how about 100 words max fantasy (no Sci fi) short story?

Holbrook
June 6th, 2004, 07:28 AM
I think it is for admin and staff to sort, especially Dag, it is his site. I believe there is a thread on the staff forum... I am sure Jacquin has read that by now....