View Full Version : Triplets of Belleville

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

FicusFan
May 13th, 2004, 08:47 PM
I just bought a very funky DVD. It is an animated french film called The Triplets of Belleville. It was playing at the cinemas earlier this year, but it just went into DVD in the US. It has won several awards around the world and was up for a couple of oscars.

It is beautifully drawn, full of odd characters, and great music. The story is of a mother (?) whose son is kidnapped from the road while he is racing in the tour de France. She and his faithful dog track him to what looks like NYC, where they team up with the triplets - incredibly aged and odd performers, to rescue him from the clutches of evil. Other than the music and the announcers on TV and Radio the film has no dialog. It evokes the past while still being quite modern.

Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001IN0MQ/qid=1084495052/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-4826412-2627950?v=glance&s=dvd)

Celtic Warrior
May 14th, 2004, 07:29 AM
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I HAVE to mention that the movie is also for a big part Belgian :D

Les Triplettes de Belleville (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286244/)

Shanoncia
May 14th, 2004, 01:55 PM
I work in a video store in Canada, and the movie's not to be released here for a few days yet but it seems interesting. Our pipeline that we have going on the store TV's plays a trailer for it about once every hour or so. I must admit it looks very... weird to me, and yet as such I'd really like to see it.

Quagmire
May 14th, 2004, 02:33 PM
It's funny when me and my friend were watching the Oscars on TV and the nominations for best animated films come up. We see the lively and colorful Brother Bear, then the amazing 3d animation for Finding Nemo, and then this movie...the clip looked really dull and the characters were so funky, almost as if the animators were high at the time. It reminded me and my friend of that "Worker and Parasite" German cartoon when Itchy and Scratchy couldn't be aired anymore on the Simpsons. Hilarious. Point is, this movie did not look as appealing as most current animated movies. Still, I'm interested in watching this to see what the fuss is all about.

What are the best things about this movie? The plot doesn't seem that complex. And if there's no dialogue, then it's not that witty. (I could be wrong in this). Is it just eye candy like Fantasia was at its time? I just want to know what's worth watching that has garnered it a work of art.

FicusFan
May 14th, 2004, 08:55 PM
I don't know about it being Belgian. I think the guy who wrote it and all the music is French: Sylvain Chomet (?). In the titles at the front it talks about France, and about Canada in terms of countries involved, I didn't see Belgium, but I may have just missed it.

In terms of the animation style -- it is hand drawn so it harkens back to the days of the past in that respect. It is also a silent film and seems to have traces of the early black and white animation (though the whole thing is in color) and of Buster Keaton or Charlie Chaplin's Little Tramp. The style is also influenced by Art Nouveau or Art Deco - I get them confused. There is a particular scene way into the movie when they show what is probably NYC, but is called Belleville - that show the elongated buildings and the coloring is so complex and delicate I have never seen anything like it.

It is also like an onion in that you are watching people watching a show and when it ends you have think about what layer you were at and how you ended up where you did. Because it is silent you aren't really sure of why things are happening, and it makes you think as you watch, trying out different scenarios to explain what is happening. So it is not a passive experience. There is a lot of music and sounds and tv/announcer talk (all in French) so it isn't a silent experience - the characters just don't talk.

I didn't really see the clip on the Oscars, but I did see Sylvain Chomet's live band playing the theme which was also up for an Oscar and it was so much better than anything else I have seen in terms of movie music. His band was playing instruments constructed like the Triplets use in the film - which you have to see to understand. Unfortunately the music video on the DVD, and probably given to the academy for voting, is not in the same league as the live perfromance, or the movie.

I enjoyed the movie because it was quirky and different, but if you are looking for a slick Nemo type film this isn't it.

Celtic Warrior
May 16th, 2004, 01:11 PM
I don't know about it being Belgian. I think the guy who wrote it and all the music is French: Sylvain Chomet (?). In the titles at the front it talks about France, and about Canada in terms of countries involved, I didn't see Belgium, but I may have just missed it.

Just look at the link I gave, IMDB, a great site btw. They had an important part in the animation. Those people were in the news here alot cause of the possibility of winning an oscar.

FicusFan
May 17th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Just look at the link I gave, IMDB, a great site btw. They had an important part in the animation. Those people were in the news here alot cause of the possibility of winning an oscar.

I apologize, I went back and viewed the film again and it does list Belgium up in front with France and Canada. The BBC even gets into the act for something.

I did follow your link and it was sooooo slow I couldn't get it load - I think my server timed out. It may have just been traffic on my system or their system at the time.

In terms of muddy animation: there is a short TV/Film animated clip that is rather sepia colored - and it starts the film. Two of the characters are watching it on their TV at home.

Quagmire
August 6th, 2004, 10:10 AM
just watched this last night...this has got to be the weirdest animated movie I have ever seen. It had its funny moments though. Oh and that music video...couldn't stop laughing!!

Luke_B
August 7th, 2004, 04:57 AM
This is one of the film's of the year for me. Nice posts Ficus.

FicusFan
August 7th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Thank You. Glad you enjoyed the film.